Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my 500/KR conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just ordered my 500/KR conversion

[/align]
[blockquote]great looking car... display those badges as you please. I am and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.[/blockquote]
Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Nice fake Shelby
Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

[/align]
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AZAlloy

ORIGINAL: Andretti

Well I think I found either the place you got your kit on ebay or one pretty darn close. I'm glad you mentioned thats where you got it. I know I'll be keeping my eyes on these when I get the rest of my cash up.

So....did you get a chance to look at that hood any closer? I'd really like to hear your thoughts about how it looks from production and what your body man says when he gets a chance to view it. I figured out the other day that Shelby is selling a version too finally, called "super snake". They sell one prepped(1099.95) and unprepped(849.95). It is VERY close in looks to the Trufiber one, but has that center piece where the two "nostrals" meet more hidden up underneath. I actually really like it too, but the thought ofof the hoodalready "prepped" so there are no surprises on fit is VERY tempting. Thats why I ask about the Trufiber one.

Nice looking car. One of the few colors I wonder if I shoulda gotten instead of my Vista Blue that I wanted since I was 5 y/o and saw myparents '65 fastback.

Keep up the pics as you make your updates.

Bryan
Hey Bryan, I am sorry and I did not mean to blow off your question. This is the first tim I have ever purchased a hood that is not OEM. So as far as comparing this one to the quality of other aftermarkt hoods, I can't do it. After looking at the hood closely, I notice that the only real rough places are in the heat extractors. When I say rough places, I mean there are a few minor edges that need to be sanded just a bit. Other than that, I am pretty impressed with the hood. I know they gel coat these things over the weave, and to the untrained eye, you would never have guesses that this hood is constructed of fiber glass.

I know what you are talking about with the Shelby Super Snake hood. I have one of their new parts catalogs, and I have seen it in there. If you are going to go that route, it only makes sence to get the 'prepped' version. But as Mellowyellow said, it might need work too. The guy who is doing my body/paint work does 60's Eleanor kits, and spends close to 80 hours just on the fiberglass just to make it look (as he says) "like steel." So I know he is going to be a real stickler when it comes to this hood. Honestly, I do not see him have a problem with it.

I really do not want to go back and forth with some of you about my badging. First off, the car does not say GT500, it says Shelby GT. What makes a Shelby GT perform better over a GT? FR3 Handling pack, hurst, and FR1 power pack. You will find ALL those mode done to my car and more, with minor changes (IE FRPP stingers instead of FR1 mufflers). So this car will get "eaten" just the same by a camaro that the serialized Shelby GT will. NO where on this car does it say GT500. Even the rear gas cap is the FRPP snake cap, which also does not say GT500. I have plans for new nomenclatures after the whipple gets installed. Until then, it stays the way it is. Beside, imitation is the highest form of flattery. If you can do it in good taste, why not? Not like I have a rusted up POS that I put Shelbys name on. If anything, it is free advertising, because no one on the streets knows it's fake. But when they ask, I never lie.

By the way, I do not street race either. Ever. Too dangerous and I will not be the one responsible for killing the family in the mini-van on the way to soccer practice. So if Mr. Camaro is intimidated by me, he will have to live in fear not knowing what is under my hood. I know half of you are saying BS, but there are 2 tracks intown that I swap the tires out, and take her down. In my profession, I see the results of street racing and speeding everyday. I will not be another statistic. Thats all I am going to say on the topic. If someone wants to start a new thread about "fake Shelbys," more power to you. This thread is about me documening my conversion. So...back on topic.

Mellow, how much time did they charge to prep your hood? Was yours pre-production? I know you have had it for quite some time.
hey, not a problem at all. I do appreciate you responding though. Good luck on the conversion. I know Im really looking forward to getting mine done, just still a ways out due to money (and wanna keep wife aggro down to a minimum).

I'm sure you and mellow are right about prep work. Some will be required with any fiberglass hood. I change my mind daily about which hood I will do. But I definately want to know others experiences.

Again, really nice looking car. Prolly only the second or so time Ive thought I might regret my color choice when I ordered my car.

Good luck with mods and keep the pics updating.

Bryan
Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andretti

hey, not a problem at all. I do appreciate you responding though. Good luck on the conversion. I know Im really looking forward to getting mine done, just still a ways out due to money (and wanna keep wife aggro down to a minimum).

I'm sure you and mellow are right about prep work. Some will be required with any fiberglass hood. I change my mind daily about which hood I will do. But I definately want to know others experiences.

Again, really nice looking car. Prolly only the second or so time Ive thought I might regret my color choice when I ordered my car.

Good luck with mods and keep the pics updating.

Bryan
I think the only way I can tell you for sure is when my guy takes a look at it. After he does his work, and I can report back to you, maybe that will be helpful to you making up your mind. I know I went back and for from Trufiber to Supersnake. When it comes down to it, I spent about $600 less on the Trufiber. I will be a SOB if it is going to cost that much in prep work. However, if it does, then you will have your answer. Or atleast something closer to an answer.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:35 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Oh and Bryan, Vista Blue is NOTHING even close to be ashamed of. I still drool everytime I see that color. Good choice!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AZAlloy

Oh and Bryan, Vista Blue is NOTHING even close to be ashamed of. I still drool everytime I see that color. Good choice!
hehe, thanks. I did choose that color after always drooling over my parents '65 for years till they sold it. But when it came time to get my own and I saw the color your is, I started to waiver. Finally figured that hey, I've wanted a blue one for years.....not worth changing my mind at the last minute after all those years of being certain. Figured I'd regret it forever to change my mind at the last second.

Bryan
Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

You guys, the hood is great, but as all fiberglass, just like the Shelby, you will need prep work. Mine need some as well but keep in mind, mine is the hood used to make all the Venom hoods out there a reality and in existence. It was the prototype hood. Call Trufiber and ask for Phil and tell him Joe sent you ao he will know to take care of you properly. You wont be sorry with the hood

Old 05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MELLOWYELLOW06

You guys, the hood is great, but as all fiberglass, just like the Shelby, you will need prep work. Mine need some as well but keep in mind, mine is the hood used to make all the Venom hoods out there a reality and in existence. It was the prototype hood. Call Trufiber and ask for Phil and tell him Joe sent you ao he will know to take care of you properly. You wont be sorry with the hood

Sickness.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I think it looks awesome the way it is...

Quick Reply: Just ordered my 500/KR conversion