Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ingalls camber bolts no bueno!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default ingalls camber bolts no bueno!

took my car in for the alignment that I never did a year ago after lowering with the eibach pro kit, since I just spent some cash on new shoes all the way around and can't rotate the tires anymore I figured it'd be a good time to line the wheels up. so i purchased the ingalls/eibach kit (according to the mfgr website) off ebay.

to make a long story short, the shop spent three hours trying to align the front end with the ingalls kit, and couldn't get the front end any where near where it needed to be, so they put an ac/delco kit on it to make it work.

this was a $376 front end alignment. had i known that i woulda just bought new tires when these wore out. holy crap, batman!!!

i basically paid for 2 front end alignments and two sets of camber bolts to get it right.

live and learn.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ingalls camber bolts no bueno!

Wow! That sucks! thanks for the heads up though.

I have the eibach camber bolts, does that mean they won't adjust camber enough?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

this was a $376 front end alignment. had i known that i woulda just bought new tires when these wore out. holy crap, batman!!!
Did you call? [sm=joke.gif]

I bought the bolts and haven't got around to having them installed. Makes me think twice.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

I have camber bolts installed, put them in when I didnt my suspension work, and had firestone (not the best place to go but they get the job done) align it with no problems other then they almost striped my bolts by using the wrong size socket...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i got the camber boltsfrom brenspeed. had my installer put the bolts on then took it to brake check (1st stupid mistake) to have my alignment done. anyways, after they had my car on the lift for a hour, he takes it down and drives it around and says that he did nothing and that the camber was perfect. i told him he was full of crap and showed him the pics of my VERY unevenly worn tires...(outside tread still good and inside 1" of tread down to the cables).
aparently, they only do the alignments by the book and he did it like it was a stock mustang even after i told him it had aftermarket bolts. they took it back and put it on the lift again but this time a different guy. he kinda knew what he was doing and got it right but took a few hours total.

long story short...make sure you let whoever does your alignment know that you have after market camber bolts installed...even if you have to tell them numerous times like me...
Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I have ingalls and eibach prokit kit with no problems. I think the shop just ripped you off. I purchased my bolts on ebay (around $10) and paid firestone $70.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:10 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

I have ingalls and eibach prokit kit with no problems. I think the shop just ripped you off. I purchased my bolts on ebay (around $10) and paid firestone $70.
i don't think they ripped me off, but of course i have no proof. these guys are however known for doing a lot of high performance and race car stuff in the area, and actually came highly recommended. they charged basically for two alignments because they had to do it over again. nevertheless, the point i'm trying to make is perhaps that the ac/delco camber bolt kit apparently has quite a bit more adjustment than the ingalls/eibach kit.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Hmm that's strange. I've lowered my girls car with Steeda Ultralites, I didn't need camber bolts, it's well within specs.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

Hmm that's strange. I've lowered my girls car with Steeda Ultralites, I didn't need camber bolts, it's well within specs.
i had quite a bit of negative camber, easily visible without putting it on a machine. i think ford calls for .7 degrees negative camber on these cars to be within specs....probably good for handling but perhaps not so good if you're wanting to extend the life of your tires. with the ingalls kit they got the passenger side to -.6....but the driver's side wouldn't come anywhere close to the minimum specs. i emphasized that i wanted to preserve tire life as much as possible since i can't rotate the tires, even though it might be at the expense of optimum handling. i think they got the passenger side to -.3 and the driver's side to 0 with the ac/delco kit.

i'm certainly no front end expert, but i think at -.7 tire life wouldn't be all that good.

then again, i've heard other forum members (not on this forum) claim that negative camber has no effect on tire wear at all.

beats me.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

the ford spec are -1.5 to 0.0 camber. mine are set to -1.0 (L) and -.8 (R). On my printout after lowering/before aligment was -1.6 (L) and -1.5(R)