Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need a quick education on tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default i need a quick education on tuners

i know the dangers of getting a used tuner,but lets just say i had a chance to get one for dirt cheap,almost free.what exactly do i need to know.the tuner in question is a sct.

1) it says its for a 05+ mustang,does the engine code matter?
2)does it matter if its for a auto or 5 speed?can it be changed with pushing a button?
3)can i adjust my own tire sizes and gear ratio's?
4)can i turn off the rear o2 sensors?i dont think so with the sct?

what happens if the engine code is wrong,or its for a auto and i have a stick,would i have to take it to a tuner for re-programming?

its suppose to have a nitrous tune already on it
Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i need a quick education on tuners

lol call Justin ***** and you will get all the answers you need, ya he will want to sell you one but just say you got it for free and see what he can do. At the least you can tell him if he helps you wil buy a tune from him.

you got a zex kit?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Black_06GTStang
2nd Gear Member

I think the main thing you'd want to verify is that the tuner is unlocked. The person selling it would have had to return their car to stock. After that, the tuner you are going to use will enter all the parameters of the tune to suit you mods.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

haha im with tombstang on this one....you are more than beating this to death when 1 call to justin or brent or doug will get you the best answers and you can place an order while you are at it!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

i know the dangers of getting a used tuner,but lets just say i had a chance to get one for dirt cheap,almost free.what exactly do i need to know.the tuner in question is a sct.

1) it says its for a 05+ mustang,does the engine code matter?
2)does it matter if its for a auto or 5 speed?can it be changed with pushing a button?
3)can i adjust my own tire sizes and gear ratio's?
4)can i turn off the rear o2 sensors?i dont think so with the sct?

what happens if the engine code is wrong,or its for a auto and i have a stick,would i have to take it to a tuner for re-programming?

its suppose to have a nitrous tune already on it
Some people are strapped for cash and can't really afford or want an overpriced handheld tuner. The price for the custom tunes are worth their cost for sure,imo. I got lucky and got a good condition, unlocked xcal 2. Be cautious when buying a used one, a lot of people don't know how or don't return to stock and then your stuck with a piece or paying 150 for sct to unlock if you can't get unlocked yourself.

you can buy the tuner used, hope it's unlocked and order a single tune file from a tuner to save a little cash.
Don't be expecting their code to work on yours. If the price is right, just average in the cost of purchasing tunes for it.
1. yes, the code matters if your trying to use their custom tune.
2. it only matters if you're trying to use their code and they have something different than you.
3. Yes, under optional parameters of the tune
4. Most custom tunes have the rear o2's off, since most switch out midpipes.

As far as the nitrous tune on it, unless you have the same pcm code and mods, this would most likely be worthless for your car.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i think im understanding now

the tuner companies make thier own custom tunes for intakes that will work on any 05+gt,is this correct?

and for a custom tune from a tuner,you must have the correct engine code for it to work on your car?

im still not really undertanding because i see all these tuner/cai for sale but no one lists the engine code,so why would nayone even want it if it wont match?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:46 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

i think im understanding now

the tuner companies make thier own custom tunes for intakes that will work on any 05+gt,is this correct?

and for a custom tune from a tuner,you must have the correct engine code for it to work on your car?

im still not really undertanding because i see all these tuner/cai for sale but no one lists the engine code,so why would nayone even want it if it wont match?
The custom tune retailers make a custom tune for the pcm code on your vehicle. Tunes are different based on mods and stock vehicle setup. Need a correct engine code and supporting mods for the custom tune to work on your car.
No one lists engine code, because you most likely would have to order your special tunes seperate. Everything has a value at the right price. I picked up a used jlt, sct xcal2(unlocked) from a member last year of the classifieds here. Just average in the cost and be ready to pay for the tune file you need to add. If moneys tight, look to buy a single tune file from doug for $50, not a three combo if you can't afford. I purchased one octane tune from brenspeed. I got lucky though and the tuner was unlocked and ready to go. If the price is right, go used if you can afford the headache of getting a bad tuner or locked. might be best to look into a used intake you like and just buy a new tuner from bama, brens, etc with the three custom tunes on it.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ok,i understang now,i was just curious about all the used ones i see and they say they have custom tunes but never list the engine code.

btw...where is the engine code anyway,lol,thanx brad
Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

^ For a good pic of location, look on brenspeed's site under the tech section, shows a good pic of location. Looking at engine(in front) its a white sticker located to the front left of the factory intake tubing. Sticker is placed on the right side with the code.