Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Sound - Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Default Ticking Sound - Seafoam

Ive got a ticking sound coming from the engine. I already took it in to the dealership and they said it was normal but I am paranoid and started to think that maybe it is carbon buildup??? I understand you can put seafoam in the crankcase, fuel tank, and intake. Where would I put the Seafoam in order to prevent this ticking? The car also made what sounded like a pinging sound, and I thought this may also be from carbon buildup.

And if i put it in the crankcase, how soon after should I change the oil? Is it bad for the engine to do this?

Basically...can someone explain the various advantages of putting the Seafoam in
1) crankcase
2) fuel tank
3) intake?

And how much gas should I have in the tank before I put the seafoam in?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ticking Sound - Seafoam

I don't think carbon build up would cause a ticking sound in your engine. How many miles are on your car?

Generally, the seafoam is put into the intake to clean up carbon build up. There are instructions on the can on how to do that. You might get engine ping (detonation) from carbon build up but I'd be surprised if you get ticking from that.

I've never put seafoam directy into my intake with the Mustang but I believe you do it with the vacuum line from the brake booster but someone else would be able to explain it better than me. There are videos on youtube on how to do it. Just do a search for Mustangs and seafoam.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alanlee112

I don't think carbon build up would cause a ticking sound in your engine. How many miles are on your car?

Generally, the seafoam is put into the intake to clean up carbon build up. There are instructions on the can on how to do that. You might get engine ping (detonation) from carbon build up but I'd be surprised if you get ticking from that.

I've never put seafoam directy into my intake with the Mustang but I believe you do it with the vacuum line from the brake booster but someone else would be able to explain it better than me. There are videos on youtube on how to do it. Just do a search for Mustangs and seafoam.
You are correct.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

The ticking sound is most likely your injectors. These are noisy engines. Ford even admitted it (check TSB).

Completely normal.

~Fletch~
Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fletch

The ticking sound is most likely your injectors. These are noisy engines. Ford even admitted it (check TSB).

Completely normal.

~Fletch~
I've heard that as well and that very well could be the sound, but it just seems like it has become louder with time (could just be in my head). It certainly isnta threatening sound, just a constant sewing machine sound that I can really only hear at idle and is always there (NOT just at startup or when cold).

I've heard that the Seafoam can help with ticking, what exactly is ticking that the seafoam can help with (lifters?)? And do you need to put it in the intake or oil? I was going to do the seafoam through the intake anyway for the pinging.

My car has 35,000 miles on it, quite a bit of that is idling in traffic and a whole winter of barely any WOT.

By the way Ive checked for exhaust leaks and there are none.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

I don't know anything about seafoam.

However, the problem your describing sounds exactly like injectors. Mine has a quiet "tapping" at idle. I can't hear it at any other time. My suggestion is to get a stethoscope and probe around the engine while it's idling. If you can hear the tapping in the fuel rails, you've found the problem.

If that's the case, don't go sticking anything in your engine!

~Fletch~
Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you put seafoam in the intake it goes in thru the PCV hose, you spray it while giving it some throttle. but i wouldnt recommend this on a low milage car. for the intake i use carb cleaner, and works fine. and if you put it in the crankcase you change the oil right after blasting your throttle for a few minutes. but i am very hesitant to do this with my mustang, i have done this with my 2001 mazda truck and it cleaned it out real good, but i do not want to try this on my mustang.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

I put it in two tanks of gas before my sparkplug change, and there was little carbon build up when I removed them at 38k miles.