Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT bumper install cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

Default GT bumper install cost

my front bumper recently got scratched and I was thinking of upgrading to the GT bumper anyway, so I just have a quick question. How much would it cost to get a GT bumper installed on my car? It's already painted and on its way, but all the shops in town just closed for the night. Just wondering if any mechanics/claims adjusters/anyone who may know had a guess.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: GT bumper install cost

free......its like a 45 minute swap
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

do it yourself... trust me... ive done it so many times im down to 10 min

two bolts on either side under the fender flaps, two bolts on top next to the radiator cover, pull the radiator cover snap on things off, disconnect the turn signal bulbs and the fog light bulbs and it comes straight off....

youre gonna have to get creative to get your v6 grill to work. theyre smaller than the gts
good luck! pm me with any ?s
Old 05-12-2008, 07:28 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ do it yourself!
ORIGINAL: 05nightrider

do it yourself... trust me... ive done it so many times im down to 10 min

two bolts on either side under the fender flaps, two bolts on top next to the radiator cover, pull the radiator cover snap on things off, disconnect the turn signal bulbs and the fog light bulbs and it comes straight off....

youre gonna have to get creative to get your v6 grill to work. theyre smaller than the gts
good luck! pm me with any ?s
Old 05-13-2008, 01:40 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Its very easy. Here are the instructions from my conversion thread but it should be easier as you are putting the stock bck on. Good luck.

RE: GT500 FRONT CONVERSION --- DONE!!!!!!!!! - 2/19/2008 1:30:24 AM

showPicture("2/18/2008 10:30:24 PM",0,0,0,2972359,233)

MELLOWYELLOW06

titleAndStar(2108,-2,0,false,",")
Over Drive Member

[align=center][/align]
Here is a quick install for the conversion.

Generally speaking the main tool one will need for this install is a 10mm socket and drive. A rivot gun, phillips head screw driver and a 7/32 will helps as well.

First we jacked the car up and removed the wheels in order to change out the spalsh guards. There are 3 simple phillips screws and 4-6 factory fasteners standing between the splash shields and freedom.

Once the shield is removed you will see 3 bolts where the fender and bumper join. Remove the 2 OUTER most bolts only. If you remove the inner most then the bracket that supports the bumper will come off and this will screw you.

Now the air dam or whatever it is under the engine needs to be removed. As you will see there are 4 small screws, use a 7/32 socket to get those suckers out.

[/align]
Repeat the previous step above reagrding the 2 outer fender bolts. Now all that is left is to remove the bolt that hold the bumper on located just inside the headlights. Once this is done the bumper will pull off. Be careful as you need to pull the fender side down to clear the hardware on that side and slide the bumper by the headlights off of the bracket. It's much easier than it sounds.

[/align]

[/align]Alright the old bumper is off and from here it is self-explanitory. remove foam core, add foam core, etc. What I will say is that there are 4 plastic factory screw hold on things on the GT core. If you place your hands close enough to them and tug you will remove these and be able to use them again. That's what I did.

To remove the headlights there are 3 10mm bolts that hold them on.

To remove the GT bumper radiator supportbrackets there are 2 10mm bolts that hold these on.

[/align]

[/align]

Now the new bumper does not come with the bracket needed to attach to turn signal to it. We had to drill the old rivot on the GT bumper out to move this piece of hardware over to the Shelby bumper. You could rivet them in to new bumper or you could get crazy and just use zip ties. Worked so far for me.

[/align]

[/align]Also attatch the headlight brackets to the GT500 bumper. They are molded in to the GT bumper but need to be attached to GT500 bumper, dont know why they did that. That part will slide under the opening on the GT500 headlights.

[/align]

[/align]
Once the brackets were swapped over, foam core installed and headlights installed it was presto change-o time and shortly we were done.

[/align]

[/align]You dont need the foglight wire harness. Connected ours with female connectors from Radio Shack and attached the splitter with nuts and bolts and washers from Home Depot. Make sure you use lock washers too.

[/align]

[/align]Good luck and just pay close attention to the 2 outer bolt parts I mentioned. Youll see what Im talking about when you get there.

[/align]

[/align]Joe
Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
optras
2nd Gear Member

I'm keeping the stock grille, so know need to worry about wiring harnesses for fog lights. Thanks again, guys. I should be able to reuse all the bolts/hardware except the stuff that's included right?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

The hardware will be reused but your grill is intended for a V^ bumper. The grill will not fit right in a GT bumper. Slightly different openings, but enough to screw things up. Just letting you know so you wont be surprised later.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

I have a oem GT grille.

But its really easy.