Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux input for Shaker 500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Aux input for Shaker 500?

ORIGINAL: WhiteHorse94

They didnt start putting that in until the 07 model year I believe
+1

I believe that on earlier models there still is an aux input on the back of the head unit, but I'm not sure on that.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

ok i neevr thought it would be i nthe arm rest. i might have it then. thanks! haha
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: antipeterleague

ok i neevr thought it would be i nthe arm rest. i might have it then. thanks! haha
Hope my post wasnt misleading.....I said arm rest, but actually mean the center console. I call the deal between the two seats "arm rest" when it is properly referred to as "center console".

If you dont have it in the middle console, then you will need to get the adaptor and use your ipod via connection through the back of the radio.

Andretti
Old 06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Just got an 06 with 10xxx miles on it. It has the shaker 1000 in it. Does anyone actually know firsthand what the back of the head unit looks like? I don't have an iPod (I have a Samsung that blows away the iPod IMO). I just want the simple headphone looking jack so I can plug my mP3 player in. Is this possible for those of us without iPods? I just thought I'd ask before I pullmy dash apart to get to the back of the radio. TIA
Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the Peripheral Electronics kit that I linked has both an iPod interface, as well as an RCA (female) with Mini Stereo (male) connector. You can choose whichever you'd like. With the RCA/Stero jack all control functions are left on the MP3 player. It also has a secondary input for use with an HD/Satelite radio reciver.

Any auxilliary input you purcase will require you to use a wiring harness adapter. This is also included in this particular kit, though some require you to buy it seperately.

Some older models of AUX input for the Mustangs have caused problems with the computer as Andretti has mentioned. This particular model is the new updated version of this unit, with the most current firmware loaded on it. I've had it for about a month now, with no issues. Again, check the Peripheral Electronics site for updates etc. before you install if you choose this unit.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andretti

ORIGINAL: antipeterleague

Hope my post wasnt misleading.....I said arm rest, but actually mean the center console. I call the deal between the two seats "arm rest" when it is properly referred to as "center console".

If you dont have it in the middle console, then you will need to get the adaptor and use your ipod via connection through the back of the radio.

Andretti
i call that an "arm rest" too haha
and yeah i got it. thought somethign was wrong since i do have an 08. sweet! all i need is an auxiliary cable!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

DON'T BUY PERIPHERAL FOR YOUR 2005-2006 SHAKER!!!. i had purchased onefor my shaker500 and it worked perfect up until my dash went haywire. it screwed with my cars computer and i had to unplug/replug the battery everytime it happened. i ended up getting a refund luckily since Peripheral discontinued that particular model and the support for it.

if Peripheral has corrected this and made a new & improved version, be weary and ask about the previous adapter and its major issue first to make sure its been resolved.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

DON'T BUY PERIPHERAL FOR YOUR 2005-2006 SHAKER!!!. i had purchased onefor my shaker500 and it worked perfect up until my dash went haywire. it screwed with my cars computer and i had to unplug/replug the battery everytime it happened. i ended up getting a refund luckily since Peripheral discontinued that particular model and the support for it.

if Peripheral has corrected this and made a new & improved version, be weary and ask about the previous adapter and its major issue first to make sure its been resolved.
yeah, i warned him and others in a previous post about that. But I havent heard of the new one causing those problems.

Andretti
Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Sancho, the Peripheral unit that caused problems was the ISFD71 unit. It was a translucent white cased unit with a single input. Best Buy.com had it advertised as working with the 05-06s when I bought it, but Peripheral had pulled their support for it long before, and had overlays on the box taking the Mustang out of the list. Sorta got me pissed at Best Buy.

The ISFD73 (which I linked to) on the other hand is the new unit that works properly with the Shaker500/1000 in the Mustang. It's a black boxed unit with dual inputs. There is a specific dipswitch setting for using it with the 05-06 Shaker500/1000 which is (unfortunately) not listed in the manual, but is covered by the FAQ on their site. The build of the unit even appears to be of higher quality, and it has flashable firmware for any future updates that may be required.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

If it causes dash errors it is not worth it - maybe an aftermarket unit is best. I have the Shaker 500 with 6 CD changer and I just use mp3s. So 200 mp3s X 6 = 1200 songs.

ORIGINAL: Andretti

ORIGINAL: Kotobuki

This is the unit I have for my '06 GT with Shaker500. I picked it up for $129.99 a little while ago. It works great, and sets you up for iPod control from the radio. The only thing you need other than what's in the kit is some double sided tape and some ZipTies. Total install time is about an hour. Check the website FAQ before you install it, based on the build date on your radio, there's different switch settings.

There's other options if you'd prefer to have control of the iPod on the iPod itself.
I'm fairly certain that is the redone peripherial one. When mine worked it was pretty cool. Just an FYI though if your not aware. The originial ones (if this is infact the redone peripherial one) caused alot of dash problems with alot of mustang owners. It took over a year and a half (minedoesnt drive in the winters), but eventually even mine started giving me huge dash errors. All my warning lights went on at one point, I lost air conditioning, traction controll, and got the oil pressure low warning. A bzttery reset to clear the computer ended up fixing everything, but the problem was pretty much determined to be from the ipod converter. Peripherial ended up doing a recall and crediting everyone who purchased it past the "replacement" date from where they bought it. I got mine at Best Buy also and since it was past 30 days, I delt directly with Peripherial. I will say they were outstanding to deal with and were very helpful in getting me taken care of. I had to get a money refund since the new "fixed" one wasnt available yet. I dont doubt that you have prolly had good luck thus far with your unit, but I would definately keep an eye on it. I cant imagine they would allow the redesigned unit to have some of the same programming errors, but I would keep the thought in the back of my mind, especially if your dash starts acting wierd at some point in the future.

Also, I dont know how your doing it, but when I plugged my 60gig iPod in, trying to find a specific song at times was a total pain in the butt. Ive actually read that Brandmotions unit basically works the same for browsing for music, so a word of advice that might help a little bit. I created a playlist on the ipod for music that I typically listened to more than others or simply was newer music that I was more likely to wanna hear more often. That way, instead of having 5000 songs to randomly jump around and shuffle through, it might only have to go through a playlist of 20 to 30. I found that I liked it much better that way. Secondly, even in that smaller playlist, but typically I did this on every song I loaded on the iPod through iTunes, I removed the "album" name. I cant tell you how many times I went to load a song by so and so, and after browsing all the way to whatever group, I had no idea which album it was from and ended up choosing the wrong album, thus getting the wrong list of songs from that album to choose from and had to start all over. This might not be a problem for anyone choosing Aerosmith since thats in the A's and is a quick browse to get to....but if your doing it for Pink Floyd, or Seether or something like that, its a total pain in the ***. Both units work this way, so anyone who gets one of these will have to deal with it. A smaller sized iPod or just loading "necessary" songs would help as well. I have well over 22,000 songs so there was NO way I would load (or be able to even if I wanted to) that many. But even 1000 or so to browse through by author can be a pain when your going on a 10 minute drive and it takes you 7 to get to the song you wanted.....

Just a heads up. Hope it helps.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Aux input for Shaker 500?