Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MATTE Black Stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

Default RE: MATTE Black Stripes?

^ i think CDC sells them but it's like 70 bucks or something stupid like that. And are those new wheels on Stang Skel's or an old picture?? they look sweet.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

I believe they're called "headlight splitters." You could probably find them just about anywhere they sell appearance mods for our cars (try americanmuscle.com).
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GOTTORQ

hey i have a black gt/cs i was thinkin of doing a single matte black stripe down the middle like the one above..how much does that cost?
$25. No joke. See: https://mustangforums.com/m_5078499/tm.htm
Old 06-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

No, they aren't new wheels ... he has had them the whole time. The pic is roughly about 2 months old

ORIGINAL: Rdot9

^ i think CDC sells them but it's like 70 bucks or something stupid like that. And are those new wheels on Stang Skel's or an old picture?? they look sweet.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Here's a few shots of mine. They are paint, though. Dupont Hot Hues - Hot Rod Black. Naturally, I paid to have them done. Would I EVER put them on another car, ever again? HELL NO! Yes, they look amazing, but you thought detailing a black car was hard before? Imagine now that you have two 10" stripes down the WHOLE CAR that you can't get wax, polish, clearcoat protectant, or anything else on.. PITA..

Good luck with the vinyl, sorry I have no advice there..
Old 06-12-2008, 12:03 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

^^^i thought you are allowed to wax the vinyl stripes, i heard theirs nothing wrong with it.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

You can wax vinyl ... as long as its not flat or matte [8D]

ORIGINAL: yomofoitzjay

^^^i thought you are allowed to wax the vinyl stripes, i heard theirs nothing wrong with it.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

oh wow, so what do i do with matte black to keep it clean?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

The only think I can do with my painted stripes is wash them with regular car wash soap.I have also found that I can use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer (black bottle, ~$10) without discoloring them. But no PROTECTANT stuff, nothing that leaves a residue or bonds with them.. Flat/matte paint is porous (especially because you can't clear over it), so waxes and polishes and stuff get in all those little spots, and you can't get them back out.

I have a small spray bottle of prep solvent given me by the body shop for those unavoidable times when I do accidentally get a little wax on the edge of one of the stripes. Thankfully, I've yet to need it.

One thing I do know - these stripes are going next off-season.. I'm thinking midnight-blue-metallic/violet color-changeghost stripes.. It'll still be subtle, but at least that way I can wax the whole damn car again!!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

The only think I can do with my painted stripes is wash them with regular car wash soap.I have also found that I can use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer (black bottle, ~$10) without discoloring them. But no PROTECTANT stuff, nothing that leaves a residue or bonds with them.. Flat/matte paint is porous (especially because you can't clear over it), so waxes and polishes and stuff get in all those little spots, and you can't get them back out.

I have a small spray bottle of prep solvent given me by the body shop for those unavoidable times when I do accidentally get a little wax on the edge of one of the stripes. Thankfully, I've yet to need it.

One thing I do know - these stripes are going next off-season.. I'm thinking midnight-blue-metallic/violet color-changeghost stripes.. It'll still be subtle, but at least that way I can wax the whole damn car again!!
wow, now i feel like returning the stripess lol..

Quick Reply: MATTE Black Stripes?