Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about rear window louvers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

Default Lets talk about rear window louvers.

I've been thinking about installing louvers on the back window but I wanna get some input from peoplewho have them. I was looking ataluminum louvers by Astra Hammond,MRT andRoush.

Lets see some pics if ya got em and tell me your oppinions of em. I'd like to hear how the install went, the quality of the louvers, if they rattle, finishing holding up, if its easy to remove to clean,just things like that.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Default RE: Lets talk about rear window louvers.

astra hammond

they fit the car's looks better than MRT, and they dont cost $600 like the roush ones

fit is perfect, and after a year with them on, i only had a slight rattle at 80 mph that i fixed with foam tape (just for padding)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

How do they "fit' the cars look better than MRT?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

becase the mrt louvers have smooth flowing lines like the sn95 mustangs, and the astra hammonds and s197 both have chiseled edges and flat curves

heres the mrt

notice they are also larger and stick out more than the astra hammons
Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Astra-Hammond aluminum.

I had 1 of the 6 brackets that didn't adhere properly and replaced it with one from another hardware pack that Astra-Hammond providedfree. I have aslight "tap tap tap"at about 90 and I'll be doing what Joolander did with some thin weatherstripping.

Cleaning the window isn't that easy since the AM's are screwed down and it's a bit of a pain remove and replace by yourself BUT when I wash the car I can get in between the slats well enough.

I had mine painted to match so I can't comment on the powder coat finish.

I really love how they keep the car cooler in the hot sun. My dog really appreciated it on those 6-13 hour rides.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:50 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

Nuke, looks great. What brand are the 1/4 louvers?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nighthawk2008

I've been thinking about installing louvers on the back window but I wanna get some input from peoplewho have them. I was looking ataluminum louvers by Astra Hammond,MRT andRoush.

Lets see some pics if ya got em and tell me your oppinions of em. I'd like to hear how the install went, the quality of the louvers, if they rattle, finishing holding up, if its easy to remove to clean,just things like that.

Thanks.
I have the Astra Hammond, also. Amazon has the best price I've seen for them, but they don't keep them in stock all the time.

The installation was pretty easy, but I had one of the lower mounts to come loose after a month or so. When I originally mounted them, the lower bolts would go on, but I had to "spring" the louvers a little. I think that little bit of tension gradually pulled the mount loose. When I put it back, I noticed that if I moved the mounting bracket as far out as I could, the hole lined up. In other words, there's a flange on the outside of the mount that looked to me like it should but up against the edge of the glass, but when I put the flange away from the edge of the glass as far as I could, it was positioned perfectly. Someone else on here commented in another thread that they adjusted the hole in the louvers with a dremel. That would work, too, but I think positioning the mounts a little farther out is a better solution.

Quality - I think the paint (powder coat?) is a little thin. I had to touch them up in a few places. It's adequate other than that. They don't rattle. They are not too bad to remove but they are big and flexible. They're not very heavy, though. I'm 61 years old and not in great physical shape, and I don't have any trouble doing it.

I'm happy with them and do not regret buying them.

Here's what they look like on my car. This is the finish they came with:

Old 06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: executioner

Nuke, looks great. What brand are the 1/4 louvers?
http://www.wheelskin.com/dg-3180.html
Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

what do those do to your rear view vision ?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:32 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

rear vision is barely affected...remember...they're horizontal so it is slightly more visible than the thin heating lines you always have on your rear window

Quick Reply: Lets talk about rear window louvers.