Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about rear window louvers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lets talk about rear window louvers.

Anyone ever get them painted?

I got white with blue stripes and like the louvers but like my stripes too
Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Here'a a pic looking back, mine are the MRT/Visus.
Had on 1 1/2yrs,no rattles,no loose pads,powder coating still looks great.
Best part for me is they hinge to clean the window.
The top slat does stick up a bit & doesn't lie flush on the window like the Astro-Hammond ones,but it doesn't bother me a bit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/7519E399BE5641779073ADAB4A9ABD1A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

Thanks for theinfo and the pics guys. Ya'll have some great looking cars. I really like the Astra Hammond louvers soI went ahead and ordered them tonight. As soon as I receive them and get them installed I'll post some pics.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aircare84

Here'a a pic looking back, mine are the MRT/Visus.
Had on 1 1/2yrs,no rattles,no loose pads,powder coating still looks great.
Best part for me is they hinge to clean the window.
The top slat does stick up a bit & doesn't lie flush on the window like the Astro-Hammond ones,but it doesn't bother me a bit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/7519E399BE5641779073ADAB4A9ABD1A.jpg[/IMG]
now thats what I wanted to see I guess the rear view vision is still pretty good
Old 06-24-2008, 04:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

can someone post a pic of the louvers OFF and with the brackets showing on the rear?

I have the hard plastic texturized ones and thinking of trading them in for aluminum ones.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

Well I ordered mine on the 23rd and got them today. Two days Woo Hooo! BUT![:@] The box was open and dented pretty bad. Looking at the louvers there is a 1 inch scuff to the bare metal on the edge and about 3 of the supports between the louvers are bent.[:'(] The louvers themselves look great. The bent supports look as if I may be able to fix them, it really isnt that noticable unless you are really looking. The maximum gap difference may be 1/4 inch from one side to another. The paint scuffcan be redone.I will try to fix them tomorrow, if not I will send them back and get some more.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:08 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: executioner

Well I ordered mine on the 23rd and got them today. Two days Woo Hooo! BUT![:@] The box was open and dented pretty bad. Looking at the louvers there is a 1 inch scuff to the bare metal on the edge and about 3 of the supports between the louvers are bent.[:'(] The louvers themselves look great. The bent supports look as if I may be able to fix them, it really isnt that noticable unless you are really looking. The maximum gap difference may be 1/4 inch from one side to another. The paint scuffcan be redone.I will try to fix them tomorrow, if not I will send them back and get some more.
Yeah, I've seen other people on here say that they got a bashed box and damaged louvers. I was lucky. The box mine came in was like new. I did have a scuff that showed bare metal in a couple of places, though. I touched them up with some matt black paint, and you'd never know there was a problem.

Good luck with getting yours fixed or replaced.

We want to see pictures!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

You want pics of a bent box?[8D] I wont get these on for a couple of weeksI go back to work tomorrow then on vacation for 2 weeks. I just bought the 1/4 louvers from ninosport and will have to install them too. I think I am going to keep these, the bends are not real noticable unless you are looking for them and I managed to straighten them out some by hand.

[IMG]local://upfiles/98733/2DA267D2E60A40EA83BF412374D7145D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

Well I got my louvers today. Ordered on the 23rd and got them on the 26th. You can't beat that. Got them installed tonight. Took a couple hours and my dad came over to help which I really recommend an extra hand. Sorry to hear about you guys getting beat up boxes. Mine was fine and the louvers looked great considering a couple small places that the powder coat was rubbed off on the edge. Doesn't matter to me cause I'm getting them painted gloss black to match my stripes anyhow.

After I got the brackets mounted I went to Wal-Mart and picked up some clear RTV silicone and some painter's tape. Taped off a 1/8th edge around the brackets and got them sealed. I'm gonna leave it in the garage tomorrow and wait to install the louvers Saturday to give it some extra time to cure.

Everything fit fine except I noticed on the bottom two brackets it seams like the threaded posts should have been spaced out about 1/8th further apart. Seems like the bottom is pulled in just a bit. I figure with the washers that were supplied with it that I can dremel the holes a little bit to the inside and nobody will notice and it will sit better.

Over all I'm very happy with the fit and quality. Even with having to do some minor tweakingI would recommend them to anyone.

I'll post pics this weekend when I get em on.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 AM
executioner
1st Gear Member

I mounted my brackets last night too. The bottom ones were off, like on yours, but I just stuck them down a little further out. I think the overall set up could be refined a bit but I like them.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about rear window louvers.