Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt problems help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

Default belt problems help!!!!

i've had the whipple non intercooled kit on for over a year and last year i broke about 3 belts and no one knew what the problem was, so i tried to take a belt off one night and the 1/4 inch or whatever it is, a piece of it broke so i needed a new one. so i bought a new factory tensioner and havent had any problems since october. last month i had the upgrade kit to the intercooled setup put in, and friday night i just got drag radials and i was on the way to the track and i got on it in second and shifted into 3rd and one rib on he belt ripped off, just one rib. so i e mailed this guy about the thumprrr tensioner, i havent heard anything back yet and the shop that does all my work hasnt gotten back to me yet. and the belt cracked the paint on my brand new cervini heat extractor hood!!!!![:@]i'm tired of dealing with this problem and i dont think i should have to pay for an 8 rib system or anything because it shouldnt be throwing belts like this, any suggestions????????
Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: belt problems help!!!!

You're probably bending the tensioner. Peter (Thump_rrr) will get back with you, guaranteed. Get his tensioner and your worries will be gone.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

the piece of broken belt

the crack in the paint on my hood from the broken piece slapping the underside of the hood[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey fade, make sure you get the
whipple addendum, which shows the
new pulley config and where
the tensioner should be positioned.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

I just had this same problem and i've only had mine for about 2 weeks. The belt shreaded on my third pass down the track. I called Whipple about it and they told me the problem is how I set the belt up. You should give them a call and let them help you set it up. I don't know if what they told me isgonna work, but I plan to go back to the track soon to find out.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I love Whipple and I am friends with Dustin and Art.

Having said that, anyone pushing over 10 psi should really get Peter's tensioner.

Now, having said THAT - Whipple is correct also in that if you aren't pushing very much boost and you are having issues with belts and/or the stock tensioner, then it is 99% due to improper alignment somewhere in the serpentine system.

Mark
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i would only add, that it's been my
experience in reading many threads about
belt issues, that the tensioner is the
#1 culprit.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

This is true ham regardless of boost. Even if it's 'alignment' issues as whipple usually blames in low boost levels, it usually always associated with the tensioner or relates to the tensioner.

Some guys who have gotten a better tensioner may even still have some misalignment somewhere but they don't notice it cause a tensioner like peters is much more 'forgiving' of any issues so for most guys the easy 'fix' is usually a better tensioner.

Idler is #2...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

well i'm ready to by the tensioner! haha i'm waiting to get an e-mail back from him. how much is it ???
Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

i was talking to a guy tonight who's had a bunch of stangs and he said it might be walking on the a/c pulley but i thought if it's walking the new tensioner should keep it tight enough to eliminate the walk or lag in the belt, under load, i dunno i sent whipple an e-mail too they said they'll give me a call sometime, i ordered a new belt from my local NAPA it should be here in a few days

Quick Reply: belt problems help!!!!