Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration at 50mph+

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Default vibration at 50mph+

I was working on my car a bit today and afterwards I noticed a steering wheel shake at 50+. Only thing I did today was locktite the clamps on my exhaust and tigthen up bolts on the brake calipers and put blue locktite on the DS bolts. so what gives, I didn't mess with anything that I think could to that today.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:10 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: vibration at 50mph+

You were messin with the driveshaft and calipers so I'd probably check there first...
Old 06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I should say... i dont think I did anything significant to the calipers or DS to make it vibrate. I know those can cause vibrations.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Did you put the drive shaft on exactly how you took it off? Same bolts, same holes with the DS in the same position as before? Also, check your lug nuts.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I would think a steering wheel shake would indicate something with a wheel or caliper since you worked on the calipers I would check thier first. Did you rotate tires today? Being in a maintenance position when something is broken after work is done we always go back over what was worked on first and foremost, 99% of the time the issue is thier.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I didn't take any bolts or anything completely out. Just enough to put some loctite on and retightened.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

You put a drop of locktite on the tip( front few threads), not the back, so you would have had to take them out?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

i too have noticed a steering wheel vibration after working on my car two days ago. we changed the brake pads, rotated the tires front to back, and put on tubular lcas in the rear. it doesn't feel like the lcas......could it be the tire rotation?? or likely something with the front calipers?? i followed the hayne's guide to a T.

EDIT: just a note, the steering wheel wiggle is worse at lower speeds and does seem to go away at higher speeds......
Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

There are two primary places that the vibration could be coming from. One is you wheels may need to be balanced, but more than likely your DS needs to be rebalanced or your pinion angle is off.

We have noticed vibration from DS being inaccurate up to 1/16 oz. It is necessary for the balancing to be quite accurate. Also, the pinion angle should be exact as well, even 1/2 a degree will result in vibration. The fact that you vibration is at 50+ mph and it was fine before you worked on your car, it is likely your angle that is off. Recheck that, btw what kind of DS is it?

Harraid5711, your issue because of the lower speed vibration and it disappearing at higher speeds sounds like the wheels/tires simply need to be balanced.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 AM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

Its the tire rotation.. It happened to me you have to balance the tires again.
ORIGINAL: harraid5711

i too have noticed a steering wheel vibration after working on my car two days ago. we changed the brake pads, rotated the tires front to back, and put on tubular lcas in the rear. it doesn't feel like the lcas......could it be the tire rotation?? or likely something with the front calipers?? i followed the hayne's guide to a T.

EDIT: just a note, the steering wheel wiggle is worse at lower speeds and does seem to go away at higher speeds......

Quick Reply: vibration at 50mph+