Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded dead battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
ilovemystang

Default The dreaded dead battery problem

Hi all,

I've been reading up on a problem I've been having with the battery going dead if not driven enough. It happens to both my 2006 Mustang GT's. They don't last more than 2 weeks without having a good drive on the freeway. I try to trade which one I take to work, but it's a real pain. I had originally bought one for my Mom, and one for me. My Mom only goes out a couple times a week to run errands. But even if she drives her car 40 minutes on one day and then leaves it, say, for 4 days sitting, the battery will die.

I've found Ford's crummy TSB response to be unacceptable. I live in an apartment and park my cars in the general apartment parking spaces. There is no outlet into which I can plug in a battery tender. The dealer has always replaced the dead batteries, but I'm very sick of going through this. I shouldn't have to go through this car switching ritual just to keep my Mom's stang alive. Believe me, I would not have bought these cars if they had told me I'd have to nurse the battery with a battery tender.

So, I was wondering if any of you have tried installing a better alternator in addition to a better battery and had any success with the battery staying alive? I'm wondering if a better alternator would for sure help charge up the battery all the way for my Mom's driving habits.

Is there some sort of battery tender I can buy that doesn't require a power outlet? Like a battery to hook up to the battery? I know, I'm grasping at straws here, but I'm desperate to find some sort of workable solution to this problem. I dont' want to take the battery out of the car entirely to charge it, since I'd like the alarm on with the car parked out in the open and all that.

Also, has anyone tried the lemon law? I live in CA, and I'm beginning to consider it. I know as soon as the warranty is up, I'm gonna be replacing my own battery. That stinks! Ford refuses to fix the root problem and is just putting a band-aid on it. On the other hand, even if I tried going for the lemon law and getting my money back, what other modern car could I buy that didn't have some stupid computer draining the battery? It seems to be a problem in general with modern cars.

Thanks!