Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Road Trip in the S197

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My First Road Trip in the S197

Am I only one who doesnt find our cars to be the "perfect" cruiser? Don't get me wrong I love taking my car on road trips and you cannot beat the fun factor but after a while I think it's wearing. When I drove to South Bend last summer from North Jersey I enjoyed the trip-and having the choice again would still take my car- but after hours and hours and hours of driving the seats become uncomfortable, the exhaust starts to get annoying (thank God I don't have Macs haha).

Now I know I'll probably get flamed because "its a muscle car", "it shouldnt be comfortable" "you shouldnt have bought it if you didnt wanna hear the exhaust" but I'm just stating while, the most pleasurable ride it's just not the most forgiving.

-Scott
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

Now I know I'll probably get flamed because "its a muscle car", "it shouldnt be comfortable" "you shouldnt have bought it if you didnt wanna hear the exhaust" but I'm just stating while, the most pleasurable ride it's just not the most forgiving.

-Scott
I'll agree to that. I took mine on several trips from Austin, TX back to New Orleans, LA to visit relatives and that 9 hour drive was no fun in the stang. I would have MUCH rather been driving a rental Nissan Altima or Ford Taurus, etc. Granted, the stang is pretty comfortable as far as sports cars go but like Vista said I don't find the seatsto be great forlong trips and the exhaust roar, manual transmission shifting and all wasn't comforatable on a long trip.

And for road trips, I appreciate the peace of mind that if a brick comes flying through the windshield rental insurance will cover it. I'll be renting next trip...
Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Pretty soon I have to road trip to Arizona from 30 minutes south of CANADA in NY.
Definitely renting a truck and haulin the stang back.
+1 on the seats. My back got jacked up from Iraq and they kill me even after an hour drive.
ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

-Scott
I'll agree to that. I took mine on several trips from Austin, TX back to New Orleans, LA to visit relatives and that 9 hour drive was no fun in the stang. I would have MUCH rather been driving a rental Nissan Altima or Ford Taurus, etc. Granted, the stang is pretty comfortable as far as sports cars go but like Vista said I don't find the seatsto be great forlong trips and the exhaust roar, manual transmission shifting and all wasn't comforatable on a long trip.

And for road trips, I appreciate the peace of mind that if a brick comes flying through the windshield rental insurance will cover it. I'll be renting next trip...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yea def!, I drove about 6 hours straight last summer and I swear my *** had a cramp for a week! haha. Shorter trips are cool though. Went down to MAryland for the flewbyu cruise. Totally worth the trip AMAZING
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Imake at least once/month, sometimes twice, a minimum 820 mile round trip with the Stang. She's not my DD, only had her 13 months and I have 20,000 miles on her.

I absolutely LOVE to take the Stang compared to my SUV. You can knife thru traffic if you so desire and can easily lose a pack of dead beats if needed. Be aware that you'll gain about 3-4 MPG by driving at or just over the PSL as opposed to 10 MPH or more over the PSL and chasing wabbits at 80-100 MPH (a good RD certainly helps).

Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Get even better going 60 and just under PSL
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

I have done the Va. Beach trip from Richmond a few times.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

Am I only one who doesnt find our cars to be the "perfect" cruiser? Don't get me wrong I love taking my car on road trips and you cannot beat the fun factor but after a while I think it's wearing. When I drove to South Bend last summer from North Jersey I enjoyed the trip-and having the choice again would still take my car- but after hours and hours and hours of driving the seats become uncomfortable, the exhaust starts to get annoying (thank God I don't have Macs haha).

-Scott
I agree with you. If I want just pure fun, I travel in the Mustang. If I want pure comfort, I drive my wife's SUVor my Sierra Denali.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i drive 300 miles one way to school, every month, and i love every minute of it.