Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default RE: shorty headers

any of you guys install your headers yourself? I was reading the instructions for the GT500 JBA longtubes and it says you have to lift the engine out.. anyway around that? or have you guys seen some good install guides for easiest/best way to do it?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

You have to lift the motor a bit for all of them I do believe. I'll be installing prothane motor mounts at the same time.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

anyone have a pic of the belly of your stang........showing shorties to axle back???????

how much do they have to lift the motor?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

The best price I found for the ceramic coated BBK's was Brenspeed at the time. I think I paid $368. Install was more of a PITA than my Saleen by far.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

FRPP's would be the easiest to install. They dont require lifting the engine up. They are very similiar to the stock logs in shape. All others have tuned length primaries and, as such, are larger and will require lifting the engine for clearance on the passenger side. I did them myself. Of course, with the help of a lift in my shop. Most people couldnt do something like this in their driveway or garage. It will take patients, sweat, another set of hands, and some cussing if you do.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

good replies..thanks.....frpp no need to lift motor.....good.....i have a car lift but nothing i would use to lift up a motor, anymore
Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Look at taco bill's how to sticky for the bullet motor mount how to it'll tell you how to lift the motor.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

if you're patient, you can find some really good deals on ebay. i bought my frpp shorties for only $112.50 brand spanking new. since i saved so much on the purchase, i went ahead and paid a local shop $250 for the install. also, reuse your original exhaust header gaskets....just seal them back on with 02 safe hi temp silicon gasket sealer.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Would getting shorty headers require a tune?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
dieselboy28
1st Gear Member

who ever says you dont have to lift motor for frpp shorties is full of $hit. there is no way to reach the stock header bolts with out it on the passenger side no matter what. a bottle jack placed carefully will easily lift the motor enough to get them out. the steering shaft is also a big pain to get out. warning to all if you have any back problems what so ever this will kick your a$$. it took me and a friend almost 6 hours to do w/out a vehicle lift(big problem was i was missing a few bolts). it was worth it though for the sound and low to mid range power. also, pick up a new set of gaskets from ford for roughly $35. all in all it mainly just a time consuming job that anyone with minor mechanical skills can figure out.

Quick Reply: shorty headers