Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Water Spots

Very important to wash-dry in the shade! for drying i use a california jelly blade to get about 85% of the water off the car and micro-fiber towels for the rest and finish off with a spray detailer. also important and not brought up is keeping your car away from sprinklers! the water is hard as hell and full of minerals and will leave spots from hell all over your ride! I left mine out one night and forgot about the sprinklers and the next day i had water spots so bad i needed to use a cleaner wax to remove them!( and thats on a very well waxed car) just food for thought.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Sorry guys...I can clean the car from top to bottom in 20 minutes. Life moves too fast for any more time.

These are cars afterall.

The OP stated he didnt like drying his car. Something tells me he doesnt want a 3 hour washing ritual.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illin

Sorry guys...I can clean the car from top to bottom in 20 minutes. Life moves too fast for any more time.

These are cars afterall.

The OP stated he didnt like drying his car. Something tells me he doesnt want a 3 hour washing ritual.
If they were just "cars" we wouldnt be here! If the OP wants to avoid water spots he'll have to go through more of a ritual and spend more time on the fine details or always have ugly water marks and such! black is one color your not getting away easy on. I dont exactly have the "time" to do all this work...but I love my car and the sacrifice is worth it in the end.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 AM
VistaBlue GT
2nd Gear Member

If I could tell somebody just one thing it would be to never use a brush at a carwash... hell you never know what the person before you used it on.. besides it isnt good for your paint anyway IMO.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alexxx

IS THERE ANY GOOD WAYS OF GETTING RIDE OF WATER SPOTS I HAVE USED SIMONIZE WASH AND WAX THEN TRYED AMOURALL SPOT FREE AND STILL HAVE MILLONS OF SPOTS ITS A NEW BLACK GT I DONT MIND WASHING MY CAR ITS DRYING IT WITH A CHAMIS I DONT LIKE IS THERE ANY SOAP THAT DOESNT LEAVE ANY WATER SPOTS WITHOUT DRYING BY HAND THANKS
1. Why are you yelling?
2. If you are taking the time to wash the car on your own why not properly dry it? If you aren't going to bother finishing the process just pay $5 to go though the car wash.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaBlue GT

If I could tell somebody just one thing it would be to never use a brush at a carwash... hell you never know what the person before you used it on.. besides it isnt good for your paint anyway IMO.
If you are going to use a car-wash brush, at least spend 30 seconds washing it with the power washer before it touches the car.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

I use the carwash self-serve. That way I have the power sprayer to get inside the fenders and hit the wheels pretty well. I just bring my bucket of look-good in the trunk and take my time to wash and dry. Pissed off quite a few people cuz I won't leave until the car is dry before I go clay and wax lol
Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
itsmetoo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

ORIGINAL: itsmetoo

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: illin

I quit washing my car at home...I just use the carwash now. $3 allows me to scrub the whole car with the brush...then move to the high pressure for the wheels and bugs...rinse it off and then go with that "spot free rinse".

A two mile trip home and the car is bone dry with not a spot to be found.

For $3 it is not worth dragging out all the paraphernalia. I can do the fine detailing back home in the garage.

You scrub your car with a carwash brush??? Do you realize that brush could have been used on some guys 4x4 pick-up truck that was caked on with MUD?
+1...Don't use the carwash brush. You will scratch tha clear even if there is nothing leftover in the brush from previous use.

By the way using very fine steel wool and glass cleaner will get the water spotsoff of glass (glass only...not paint) and it will not scratch either. It does require a lot of rubbing but it works better than any other thing I have tried.
I must beg to differ... Try using a clay bar with plenty of soapy car wash water. then follow up with Stoner invisible glass cleaner.You will not be dissapointed. As for steel wool? That would be my last and final approach. Sorry dude.
I have tried claybar on glass an it did not remove the water spots. I had tried many other suggestions as well. A friend of owns a automotive glass shop. That is where i got the idea of using very fine steel wool and glass cleaner from. As far as being the last resort...it was for me. Although I did try the idea out on my beater car before doing the mustang because I was iffy on the idea as well.

Now that I know it works well and will not scratch glass it will be my first choice of spot removal on glass if it happens again. Just my personal experience with water spot removal on glass.

Overall I think it depends on how long the water spots have been on the glass as to what method works. If they were there for a short time claybar might work but if they have been there for a longer time it will not do the trick.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Itsmetoo....what grade of steel wool did you use?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
itsmetoo
1st Gear Member

superfine #0000

Quick Reply: Water Spots