Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a hydraulic floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:57 AM
GRABBER08GT
2nd Gear Member

Talking

too funny!!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
If you were in **** you would.
awesome post!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Assuming you don't want to jack the rear up by the pumpkin what are the other options?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What the bending that people are somewhat concerned about is trying to do is make the rear wheel camber less negative/go positive/go more positive. Stick axles are not at all guaranteed to have either zero camber or zero toe, and what these alignment parameters happen to be does affect the car's handling.

In this case, the axle bending from lifting by the pumpkin is in the direction of less negative/more positive camber. It won't be enough to see, but might be enough to measure with a digital angle-finder. More things than the length of time under improper lifting are involved, so I would not be the one to make any guarantees that the cambers would precisely return to their previous values when the improper lifting condition is removed. Translation: if it does not all come back, the rear of the car will have a little less lateral grip available and will be slightly more apt to oversteer (something that kind of scares the OEM's, courtesy of guys like Ralph Nader and faceless ambulance-chasers)

I doubt that many people outside of road racers, circle track racers, autocrossers, suspension engineers, and the better alignment techs ever consider stick axle alignment measurements other than pinion angle and maybe thrust angle, mostly because there isn't much that can be easily or economically done to change it. How many people here have ever even checked for themselves to see where their rear wheel cambers & toes are really at?

(Other than to remove an axle entirely or replace leaf spring shackles I don't think I've lifted the rear of a car by the pumpkin a dozen times in my whole life.)

The car in the link below has about -0.5° camber (both sides) and about the same amount of toe-in (not so nice). It may look slightly +camber in the picture, partly due to lateral tire distortion and partly because the axle itself rolls a degree or more in a hard corner (tire compression). But it really is static negative.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/albu...&pictureid=834

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-22-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

If you don't want to jack it by the rear pumpkin, jack it by the axle tube out by the end. I don't think there's ever been any argument about jacking it there although the way this thread goes it could begin now too... I've jacked cars up from all sorts of places over the years and never damaged one from anywhere.... If you're that unsure, get a set of ramps....

Originally Posted by Riptide
Assuming you don't want to jack the rear up by the pumpkin what are the other options?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Smile

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
If you were in **** you would.
A 9" is a must have as well...