Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a hydraulic floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: Using a hydraulic floor jack

I agree a jet isnt a good example but neither is a human. Its all a matter of structural integrity.I'm not trying to put anyone down or stir things up. You are right, my method isnt recommended per the owners manual but if you take your time and are careful you will have no issues.However you feel comfortable doing it is the way you should do it. Alls good in my book, no hard feelings if you disagree. I could careless how anyone jacks up their car. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

The idea of your head and holding your arms out is a bit off. I mean i can hold stuff in my hands for atleast a minute or so which is longer than the jack will be on the pumpkin and as pascal mentioned we are talking about a very thick housing, not human strength. Look at an airplane supporting giant wings on either side. It has to do with structural integrity.
The exercise I mentioned wasn't about human endurance. It was to demonstrate where the load isin relation to the fulcrum. Do any of you understand the principles of levers?

As for an airplane wing, they are designed to flex under load. Ever watch a 747 when it is being fueled? Watch as the wing tips bow lower and lower to the ground? Ever look out the window of a large jet moving through turbulence? The wings are moving! They are designed that way. A jet wing is really not a good analogy to compare to a rigid axle.
+1
Airplanes are made from ALUMINUM and are designed to flex with no damage.
The stangs rear end pumpkin is cast and will crack rather than bend.
The axle tubes are made from steel and unless you have extensive measuring
devices, you will never notice a slight bend of lets say 0.003 of an inch but
you can bet that the bearings and splines will notice in the form of excessive wear.
Why risk it just to be macho in the form of lifting both tires off the ground at once.
You should be using jack stands anyhow, so lifting one side properly and supporting
it on a jack stand and then lifting the otherside then placing a jack stand under there
produces the same results and no axle tube bending.
But hey, its your stang, do as you wish. []
Old 07-12-2008, 02:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

No nerve hit.

Hey db and dragon...

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/947E5F806045431EA3F3DAE56E2A43BF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

wow i'd really like to know a definitive answer to this....i jacked cars up on the pumpkin since about 1974. the only bearings that i ever had to replace were on my 00gt...but they were noisy from the factory.

do any of the aftermarket sf connectors have jacking plates where you can lift up the whole side of a car at one time?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

No. You don't really need any either.
Or you can have that built under the rockers...
Do it quickly, before someone tells you that you gonna bend the unibody of your car lol.

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/2172EA7F34524BC5B8F25F9375B84007.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/C91686CA9AAF4DCFB6CCB9E9F4B1C58B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2008, 03:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

ORIGINAL: CliffyDeuce

There's a note in the manual to not jack on the differential, but I think it may be OK as long as you pad it and look carefully at what you're jacking on - think about where the stresses are going and make sure you're jacking on a flat area (not stressing the cover, etc).
This is exactly what I am talking about. Its not just about stressing the diff, or bending the cover. You have to look beyond the immediate area.

Here, read this:
Okay, here’s a little exercise I like to use when doing training and someone asks me if it’s okay to jack a car from under the differential carrier i.e. “pumpkin”.

Pretend your head is the pumpkin. Your body is the jack. Now, hold your arms out horizontal from your sides. Now, have someone place some weighted objects in each hand and see what happens. Hold it for a bit and you will get the message. Now, before tossing the weights off, have two friends place their shoulders under your out stretched hands. What do you feel? Relief? Now, look at your rear axle with all this in mind.

BS. The same force ..ie...weight of the car is on that same area when the car is on the ground.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:15 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

pascal, you should market a kit.

that's what i hate about working on a lowered car....too dang hard to get the stupid thing off the ground

i wish i had a lift
Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I tell you, even with a lift, it's border line when you're lowered...
I had a FR500C on my lift and I had to jack it up so the 4 lift pads would go under there[:@].
Only then, I was able to lift it.
I know it's pure breed race car but I have customer with DD lower than that.[8D]
Old 07-12-2008, 03:25 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

okay, maybe i need to dig a pit in my garage.....seriously.....

Quick Reply: Using a hydraulic floor jack