Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a hydraulic floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Using a hydraulic floor jack

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

ORIGINAL: CliffyDeuce

There's a note in the manual to not jack on the differential, but I think it may be OK as long as you pad it and look carefully at what you're jacking on - think about where the stresses are going and make sure you're jacking on a flat area (not stressing the cover, etc).
This is exactly what I am talking about. Its not just about stressing the diff, or bending the cover. You have to look beyond the immediate area.

Here, read this:
Okay, here’s a little exercise I like to use when doing training and someone asks me if it’s okay to jack a car from under the differential carrier i.e. “pumpkin”.

Pretend your head is the pumpkin. Your body is the jack. Now, hold your arms out horizontal from your sides. Now, have someone place some weighted objects in each hand and see what happens. Hold it for a bit and you will get the message. Now, before tossing the weights off, have two friends place their shoulders under your out stretched hands. What do you feel? Relief? Now, look at your rear axle with all this in mind. Now put two 2x4s that reach to the ground under your outstretched arms near the ends like where the springs as located. Any easier to hold up the weights now? Exactly.
BS. The same force ..ie...weight of the car is on that same area when the car is on the ground.
BS.
There is noweight of the vehicle on the pumpkinwhen the
vehicle is on the ground. The force is transmitted down from
the springs and out to the wheel hubs. The springs are on
the ends of the axle tubes, not on the center of the axle
where the pumpkin is.
BS.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:33 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

i'll take butter on my popcorn

Old 07-12-2008, 03:35 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

okay, maybe i need to dig a pit in my garage.....seriously.....
Back to square one son.
How are you gonna do brakes in a pit without some kind of jack?
Just messin' with you...
Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

okay, maybe i need to dig a pit in my garage.....seriously.....
Back to square one son.
How are you gonna do brakes in a pit without some kind of jack?
Just messin' with you...
ummmm, wellll....haven't thought it all thru yet, but, what makes me feel good about you calling me son is that maybe there's at least one person on this site that's older than me
Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Well, you're someone's son.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Well, you're someone's son.

yes, but he doesn't hang around here....anyway, anybody that calls me son should be more than willing to give me money. i might not even do mods with it, i might help the kids pay off their college loans or something

aw heck no, i'm spending it on the car, DADDY! da me dinero!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

ORIGINAL: CliffyDeuce

There's a note in the manual to not jack on the differential, but I think it may be OK as long as you pad it and look carefully at what you're jacking on - think about where the stresses are going and make sure you're jacking on a flat area (not stressing the cover, etc).
This is exactly what I am talking about. Its not just about stressing the diff, or bending the cover. You have to look beyond the immediate area.

Here, read this:
Okay, here’s a little exercise I like to use when doing training and someone asks me if it’s okay to jack a car from under the differential carrier i.e. “pumpkin”.

Pretend your head is the pumpkin. Your body is the jack. Now, hold your arms out horizontal from your sides. Now, have someone place some weighted objects in each hand and see what happens. Hold it for a bit and you will get the message. Now, before tossing the weights off, have two friends place their shoulders under your out stretched hands. What do you feel? Relief? Now, look at your rear axle with all this in mind. Now put two 2x4s that reach to the ground under your outstretched arms near the ends like where the springs as located. Any easier to hold up the weights now? Exactly.
BS. The same force ..ie...weight of the car is on that same area when the car is on the ground.
BS.
There is noweight of the vehicle on the pumpkinwhen the
vehicle is on the ground. The force is transmitted down from
the springs and out to the wheel hubs. The springs are on
the ends of the axle tubes, not on the center of the axle
where the pumpkin is.
BS.

Double BS my ***! I was referring to the weight at the conection point of the axle tubes to the pumpkin.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I tell you, even with a lift, it's border line when you're lowered...
I had a FR500C on my lift and I had to jack it up so the 4 lift pads would go under there[:@].
Only then, I was able to lift it.
I know it's pure breed race car but I have customer with DD lower than that.[8D]
Okay, an easy way to answer the OP's question: pascal, where did the 4 lift pads go when you raised the FR500C (or any other Mustang)? That is the point where you should use to lift the Mustang from with a floor jack. Then put a jack stand under the axle tube on that side, lower the jack and then lift the other side and then place a jack stand under that side. Now you have lifted you Mustang, it is safely supported and everyone on this thread is happy (I think).

Actually, the service manual clearly shows the lift points when using a lift or floor jack. I have it in printed form but not electronic or I would post the diagram.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cavediver

I tell you, even with a lift, it's border line when you're lowered...
I had a FR500C on my lift and I had to jack it up so the 4 lift pads would go under there[:@].
Only then, I was able to lift it.
I know it's pure breed race car but I have customer with DD lower than that.[8D]
Okay, an easy way to answer the OP's question: pascal, where did the 4 lift pads go when you raised the FR500C (or any other Mustang)? That is the point where you should use to lift the Mustang from with a floor jack. Then put a jack stand under the axle tube on that side, lower the jack and then lift the other side and then place a jack stand under that side. Now you have lifted you Mustang, it is safely supported and everyone on this thread is happy (I think).

Actually, the service manual clearly shows the lift points when using a lift or floor jack. I have it in printed form but not electronic or I would post the diagram.

That takes car of the 3rd member housing maybe getting squashed, but doesn't address the fools that thought the axle would get bent.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:22 PM
rjg426
1st Gear Member

My 06 Mustang Factory Workshop Manual only shows the factory hole area (same as where the factory jack goes) for the appropriate jacking and lifting points. It does not show the axle tubes, cross members or anything else (which I thought was strange).

Quick Reply: Using a hydraulic floor jack