Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: driveshaft install

how did you re-install the new pinion flange....did you over torque it and further crush the crush sleeve? before i did mine i talked to the original gear installer, and he said the only worry with changing the flange would be to crush that sleeve more than the original crush point when the gears were set up. i only tightened the pinon nut to about 140, and haven't had any problems. i hope that's not the case, that would probably call for re-installing your gears again

how much gear oil did you loose? it should have only been maybe a teaspoon, if that....unless the pinion flange was left off overnight or something
Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

maybe the gear oil was overfilled then cause when i got that pinion flange off, it came pouring out...i'd say maybe close to a cup worth lost...going to install the LCA brackets and see if that helps at all
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

it's kinda weird, but when i installed my aluminum driveshaft, it actaully reduced most of the gear whine i was having
Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

ok guys...after many grueling hours of listening to my wife bitch about how long it was taking, going out to buy new tools, and extra time for cussing and such, i am finally finished

the whine was caused by the pinion flange not being torqued down enough...took the driveshaft off, re-torqued the pinion flange to 140ft-lb, rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees, and went ahead and installed the LCA relocation brackets all at the same time.

after all of that, i just got back from a test drive and i have to say, i am impressed. no more whine, feels like the power is really getting to the ground now and has some more "throw you back" especially in higher RPM's. i recommend getting a new driveshaft to anyone who wants to pick up some more power but doesnt mind dealing with a few unexpected issues and can handle some troubleshooting

thanks to all you guys who kept in touch throughout this process........off to bed, i'm pretty damn tired
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

glad you got it going....probably in a week or so, i'd jack it up again and check the bolts too make sure nothing is coming loose. i know it can be pretty hard to torque those bolts down significantly. fwiw, that would be a good time to also look and see if you've got any shiney spots indicating a rub. i've got a slight rub that needs to be fixed...more of a little polished spot