Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proper way to powerslide

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: proper way to powerslide

drive your car!! enjoy it, you pop that **** into second on the turn and punch it hard, and if your really good at drifting you can manipulate the e-brake to assist with the control of your speed and angle
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Make sure you have a MASSIVE open parking lot... with none of those poles that pop outta nowhere.
I just get going at about 30-45 mph in 2nd gear, turn, and stomp on the gas. Works for me everytime.

I usuallydrift around the course on the"fun runs" at the end of my autocross events. My tires hate me, but it's soooooooooooo much fun. And it really helps your confidence while driving on the road... knowing how to recover the car from being completely sideways lets you know exactly what the limits are.

RWD ftw! Have fun!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

i also have 12 inch wide tires on my back so that might be why its been a little harder for me on the dry
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Oversteer into the turn and then whip the rear
end around with application of power and more
steering wheel.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

i have a question? if you try it in a huge *** parking lot, such as a empty mall lot on a sunday night, wont the securitycall the cops? or will they just ask you to stop and to leave?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

No ZR rated tires? wtf?

ORIGINAL: tn_gt

they are falken stz-01, they are suv tires at 295/40/20 so they arent low profile so they dont have that low profile price tag
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Good grief there are some lamo suggestions in this thread.

157db probably has the best advice for a powerslide and most accurate description.

Powerslide is differerent than drifting which is what most people are eluding to here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)

Anyways, powerslides are easier to control than drifting especially in tight corners.

Way I power slide, down shift to second and apply the brakes hard but briefly for an instant before I enter the turn, this shifts the weight to the front, then as I start into the corner (on a manual) I let the clutch out while giving it enough gas to get the car to start getting it sideways, careful to not over gas it and just fishtail/spin-out. You can use just the gas pedal or thegas and clutch to control the amountof tq your tires see. It's an awesome feeling when you take a corner get all four wheels sliding sidways and as you come out of your turn, the wheels just grab and you go!

It's a little harder on an auto which is what I drive now since you don't have the clutch to help feather the power but it can still be done.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
05Saleen#243
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Project Renegade

i have a question? if you try it in a huge *** parking lot, such as a empty mall lot on a sunday night, wont the securitycall the cops? or will they just ask you to stop and to leave?
Depends on the location. A friend of mine has a SS Camaro and he was donuting behind an Albertson's as he frequently would. Little did he know that they had installed a suveillance system and got his plate #. 45 minutes later cops are knocking at the door with a fat ticket for him.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

why would anyone do this to thier car? are you freakin crazy or insane?

btw...check sig
Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

its all about over powering the traction, and controlling the front tires enough to pull you though it.do it in a open parking lot,with no curbs around.if you start to loose control,let off the gas,dont jam the breaks, soon as you let off the gas your steering will return to normal,if you jam the breaks your just going to keep sliding.

if you want to do the "knight rider" slide (thats what i call it), you go fast straight ahead,whip the wheel and grab the ebrake real hard,soon as you get 180*, let the ebrake off and gun it again. in my video,i did it 3-4 times at the end and it was my first time ever trying it.

Quick Reply: proper way to powerslide