Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proper way to powerslide

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default proper way to powerslide

ok what is the proper way to powerslide my car around a corner (private lot) so that its not so hard on my clutch...or well i guess im asking is it really hard on my clutch when i do burnouts or pop it to slide it around a corner in the lot, also is it hard on the clutch/tranny when im doing 60 and drop it into 2nd (it feels perfect but im just curious as im not too familiar with these tricks and such)
Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: proper way to powerslide

for a powerslide, you should be able to just start turning the corner at a decent rate of speed and quickly punch the brakes to transfer all your weight to the front. then as long as you have your car in a low gear, you should be able toget onthe throttle heavy to keep the rear end out. make sure you have t/c off and you have space for a spin. its hard on your tires, but shouldnt bother your clutch at all
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

If you are dropping second gear at high speeds, rev-match before you let the clutch out to decrease wear.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

alright thanx, never thought to transfer all the weight to the front...thats why i posted this, and this is just for fun in a private parking lot with not traffic so its not on public streets for anybody who freaks out about the danger of this, and the only reason i am worried about the clutch is the guy at the dealer said that popping it hard can actually disinegrate the plate, not burn it but destroy it into a bunch of little pieces
Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Judging by this question, I am guessing you are young, actually probably within the first few years of driving. I recommend you learn the car better before trying to pull stunts. Not saying you are endangering anyone, but you are risking your car and yourself. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

yea don't try to powerslide yet. a lot of people freak out when the car is sideways and the steering wheel doesn't act like it usually does, and they lose it. i've seen it happen plenty of times.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

I just turn tcs off and floor it in a lower gear so the tires start sliding and get sideways, its fun ****.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

You might as well go ahead and learn it while you are young. However, make sure the parking lot is wide open (no poles, cars,or curbs). Also wait till it rains so that you can do it at lower speeds to decrease the chance of wrecking. Just dont think you are hot stuff and do it on public roads to show off or else you will get into trouble quick.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

This is a very good way to lose control and wreck your car! rain and a wide open parking lot is HIGHLY reccommended first
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
AMoRT
3rd Gear Member

Just go around the corner in low gear and floor it once you start the turn. your back end will slide out and there you go

Quick Reply: proper way to powerslide