Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!

first of all....my dealership has never done anything like that.... they've always taken care of me and done everything perfectly....

can you find another dealership that can help you out?

the whole situation really sucks...but you'll get it fixed in the end....but never compromise....you should be 100% with the end result
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM
mjm2007

You need to take the car to the sales manager, show him the Fu#*%$ up sh#@ his body shop did and TELL him he is going to replace the spoiler and trunk lid with one from the lot of the same color!! They can do this without any fraud-damage can be repaired and body panels painted on a new car and it only needs to be disclosed to the customer if its over a certain amount of damage! Don't take no for an answer-it's their mistake and their problem, not yours!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Step 1: File a complaint with Ford

Step 2: Contact the Better Business Bureau in your area

Step 3: Threaten to file/actually file a lawsuit against the dealership for the whole cost of the car plus stress, aggravation, and time spent without your car.

Dealer installations should be no-brainer operations. Any dealer that cannot perform a simple body modification covered under warranty should and must be held accountable with no hassle to the customer.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

Wow sorry your experience is off to a bad start. Don't get too frustrated. Lots of guys on here have gotten bummed over by a dealership or shop messing something up. So you aren't the first one! Just keep with it and keep pushing the buttons you need to push to get it fixed. Plus, a lot of guys on the forum are great sources of info about things like this and how to handle it.

Don't get too angry with your salesman or the sales manager...remember, their job is sales. Getting work done would have gone through the service department. Or, some Ford dealerships have a special department that works on aftermarket stuff. At my stealership, they call it the Toy Store. Either way, the service guys boned it up, not the sales guys.

On another note, how in the hell could they put the spoiler in the wrong place. They probably had ten more cars on the lot with spoilers. All they had to do was look at it!

Mike, what happened with you and Karen's Bullitt? Isn't it only a few months old?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: careymp

Even if they allow a swap, it'll be at another dealership. What about getting a new one pre-painted and shipped directly from the factory? Anyone ever heard of that being an option? I'd prefer to steer clear of any body shop painting since it is new and carries the paint warranty. Anyone whose ever been in a wreck knows body paint just is not going to last as long.
Well it doesn't look like your "paint warranty" is working out too well for you so far, so why worry about voiding it? First, DO NOT let the Ford dealership or their low-bid paintshop subcontractors touch your car. Second, take it to a reputable (ask around) body shop, preferably one with lots of experience on late model/metallic finish paints. Matching those metallics is as much (if not more so) an art as it is a science. Even two cars painted at the factory the same day are going to have variations because the metallic flakes settle out in the giant vats at the factory (those painted later in day have more metallic than those painted earlier in day). So getting one direct from factory (which I don't believe is an option) wouldn't guarantee a perfect color match. An experienced painter with a good eye at an non-dealership body/paintshop is going to be your best bet. Best case scenario you'll get the dealer to foot the bill for that, but as mentioned above you may need to get legal counsel involved. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
J to the C
1st Gear Member

Go to newtakeoff.comor another website, order parts they are already painted by the factory- try and bill the dealer.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
ceaz55

first of all dont bring it anywhere else to do anything becuz they can easyly say sumone else worked on the car an that they are not responsible so ...just like they were probly calling u an harrasing u when u were in the process of buying ur car ...u gotta do the same .....and at the end of the day they ****ed up an u are paying for ur car so ..i would speak to a top manager to work sumthing out becuz its a new car .....an even if they fix it its still not the same men ...try to get another one
Old 09-03-2008, 12:29 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Default For the love of...

Wow, I want to puke.

Dude, I can relate...my car was suppose to be brand new and it ended up being the whole rear quarter on the drivers side was painted.....

You need counsel, contact a lawyer immediately...do you realize what kind of depreciation we are talking about here already!

How many miles do you have....get them to take the car back. Sit down with the dealership owner and just explain this is not acceptable and plead with them in a non aggressive way...do NOT mention a Lawyer or they will shut you down and stick that wing up your ***...then you will be in litigation like me for over 1 1/2 yrs.

Best of luck....breathe.

P.S. Think of what you want...give yourself options....I bet you can get them to fix it right...an throw in wheels....something along those lines....basically ask yourself what will make me happy....and go form there and stick to it.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by nite
whatever you do, don't blame ford for a dealership body shop that doesn't know how to do body work.

get your car out of there, tell them you're bringing it to a REAL body shop and that you're going to give them thebill, which they will cover in full.

never go back to that dealership for anything, even if your life depends on it (if their body people don't know where to mount a gt spoiler,no way should you evertrust their techs).

good luck.
Your right on most of this but I know Ford at that point should be contacted and ask for a regional manager. If this body shop that is part of the dealership obviously doesn't know how to paint a Ford product that the dealer is licensed to sell and represent a Ford product then Ford should know about it. The dealer (worse comes to worse) could lose their license to sell Ford cars and products and should be reported to the BBB.

Oh and that form they send to you via mail or at the time you take delivery of the car and you get asked to give the highest ratings on the dealership so they get perks from Ford (they don't tell you that though), make sure to fill it out truthfully and if you did not receive one get one from the dealership and mail it yourself to Ford (don't give it to the dealership to mail). This reports (for good reason) to Ford your experience and how you were treated. Oh and look into the laws (with a lawyer of course) regarding how to handle paint and body shop type stuff and when you should sue....everyone is so quick to sue and to be honest it will hurt Ford and their reputation in the end even if the dealer goes belly up.... JMO
Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlcrycc
Mike,
First, welcome to the Forum. Sorry it is under these circumstances....

Second, document the heck out of all that has been done. Take tons of pictures for future proof of poor workmanship....

Third, do not bother with a letter to the sales manager. Go sit in his office. Find out when your salesman and the general sales manager will be there at the same time. Drive the car down there, take them by the hand, and show them the car, along with any past pictures you have taken. Have them get the body shop manager out there at the same time.

Yes, it can be frustrating, but stay on top of it until it is taken care of to your satisfaction. Trust me, I know. Karen and I are having some minor issues with the new Bullitt, that at this point has gone to having the dealer order a new front bumper cover, rear bumper clips, and a promise that even if they have to re-paint, color sand, and re-clear the car, they WILL get the months old water rings out of the paint........[:@][:@]

Good Luck,
Mike
+1

I couldn't agree more with what Mike has said.

I would document the heck out the situation you have been put through already and call a "face-to-face" meeting to get this straigtened out immediately before any more time passes.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!