Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
careymp

Default Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!

My first post, and it's for the wrong reasons. Sorry in advance for the length:

I bought a new 2008 GT in April from a Lindsay Ford in Wheaton, MD. It was everything I was looking for in terms of options, expect I really wanted the spoiler. I liked the look, and that's what I wanted...so I pulled the trigger, threw the factory GT spoiler onto the bill, and drove away.

Three weeks later, I got a call that the spoiler was in. I dropped the car off so they could match the paint, drill the few holes, and put the damn thing on. The next day, I get a call from the shop manager that some knucklehead put the thing in the wrong spot. They basically mounted it above the Sirius antenna. Brilliant!! They asked permission to try and fix it, which I reluctantly gave with numerous conditions of acceptance. I was clear that, if it didn't look right, they were replacing the whole thing.

They tried to fix it and it looked horrible. Not only could you see the holes they plugged, but the color didn't match, there was all kinds of snots and veins in the finish, and even the simple things like wire clips and the body tape for the faux gas cap were sloppy. I pointed out these deficiencies and they agreed to buy a new decklid.

They called about two weeks later to say the new decklid’s in, but I only got around to scheduling it last week because I've been too busy. I dropped the car off last Tuesday, showed the problems to the NEW body shop manager, and went on my way. He told me that he was probably going to have to blend the paint onto the adjacent body panels, which drew a response from me of "No F-ing way." It's a brand new car, they screwed up, and I wasn't going to have some hack who shouldn't be painting my barn paint the back half of my brand new car.

Three days later,I get the call that it's ready, but from the tone of the shop manager, I could already tell I was not going to be pleased. He began with the statement that he was already on the phone with his paint supplier asking WTF. I get to the shop and it's worse than before. Not only is the paint the same color as the last time they tried to paint it (about 5 shades lighter than factory), but there is even more debris in the finish and, while the lid latches, it is misaligned. To add insult to injury, you can see wet sanding or buffer marks all over the place. I leave the shop after discussing with the body shop manager that it is again unacceptable. He promises to contact me in two weeks after he discussed it with his paint supplier.

In summary, what should have been a simple operation has turned into a total debacle. I am reluctant to let them touch my car again. I sent an e-mail in to Ford customer service this evening because I got home too late to call their 800 number, and I plan on sending a letter to the sales manager tomorrow.

What should I do? I'm looking for advice. This problem is all their doing and I refuse to suggest a third party that I know can do the job right, because Ford will just wash their hands of it. Any suggestions?

Thanks. - Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 PM
GOTTORQ
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!

pick a new car off the lot and tell them they can keep the one u bought, and the new ones yours lol
Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Mike,
First, welcome to the Forum. Sorry it is under these circumstances....

Second, document the heck out of all that has been done. Take tons of pictures for future proof of poor workmanship....

Third, do not bother with a letter to the sales manager. Go sit in his office. Find out when your salesman and the general sales manager will be there at the same time. Drive the car down there, take them by the hand, and show them the car, along with any past pictures you have taken. Have them get the body shop manager out there at the same time.

Yes, it can be frustrating, but stay on top of it until it is taken care of to your satisfaction. Trust me, I know. Karen and I are having some minor issues with the new Bullitt, that at this point has gone to having the dealer order a new front bumper cover, rear bumper clips, and a promise that even if they have to re-paint, color sand, and re-clear the car, they WILL get the months old water rings out of the paint........[:@][:@]

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

whatever you do, don't blame ford for a dealership body shop that doesn't know how to do body work.

get your car out of there, tell them you're bringing it to a REAL body shop and that you're going to give them thebill, which they will cover in full.

never go back to that dealership for anything, even if your life depends on it (if their body people don't know where to mount a gt spoiler,no way should you evertrust their techs).

good luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Sue that dealership. Simple as that.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!!
Sorry about your issues.
PM Pascal, he is the resident bodyman on this forum and can help steer you in the right direction.
As far asI know the differences in factory and body shop paint will require blending, but asI said Pascal can help inform you with that process.
I hope this all ends up ok for you.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
tfyzorg2
2nd Gear Member

WOW WTF!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
flyinfunnyguy8

Dont all GT's come with the spoiler? If they can not fix, their mistake, to your satisfaction, then you break the deal. Or tell them you will pick a different car off the lot and you do a switch, straight up. Personally, I would not not business with them, that scares me that they would try to pass off something so obvious. But do something, that in the end, makes you totally happy, they messed up, and now should try to do everything they can to make you happy.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
MilehighGT
1st Gear Member

Do they have a mustang in the same color with the spoiler you want already installed from the factory? If so, tell them to switch it out and they can practice painting on that car. Changing the trunk lid and lock to match your car has to be faster than waiting for them to learn how to paint.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
BADH0RSE
1st Gear Member

Bunch of IDIOTS! My GT500 rear spoiler came with a very detailed and precise paper template that shows were to drill the holes. A reputable shop painted the spoilerand I didthe installmyself.

Badh0rse

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Dealer screwed up my new car!!