Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking/Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Knocking/Pinging

So in other words the people who post about hearing a knock or a ping are not likely hearing what they think they are or there is something else wrong causing the problem other than lower octane gasoline in the system.

Because jaguarking11 is indicating that our ECU does in fact pull timing to prevent detonation.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The '05's thru '07's don't pull as much timing as the 08's from what I've heard but I have not seen anything to substantiate it. I got the impression that I might be able to get by with being about 1/2 - 1 octane off in my '07, if that.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

So in other words the people who post about hearing a knock or a ping are not likely hearing what they think they are or there is something else wrong causing the problem other than lower octane gasoline in the system.

Because jaguarking11 is indicating that our ECU does in fact pull timing to prevent detonation.
IT does pull timing and increases the injectors duty cycle. The problem is that it will sound like ****e doing so as well as bog down when you give it some gass.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Incidentally, this is what brenspeed told me.

The PCM can pull it out but a lot of times the knock sensors don't work or they actually add timing when there is already pinging. I have seen cars that pinged because the knock sensors kept adding timing and couldn't hear the ping.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:44 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Another thing worth mentioning is that our cars ingest the blow by gasses and vapors as well as oil through the intake system. The valve cover breather is directly connected to the the intake manifold. These gases reduce our effective octane rating as well as coat sensors in the intake manifold with oil. Idling provides the worst of this as the engine is basically running under vacuum. I can imagine supercharged stangs. It makes sense because my stang sees an average of 1hour per day of stop and go traffic, and it does not like 87 octane, not to mention it says in the manual, the engine may knock, if it does switch to higher octane.

As a side note, I just picked up an oil catch can and in the interest of buying some new hoses for it (e-bay blue hoses look like ****e) I fulled the stock hose and it is covered in oil and smells like petroleum.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 AM
michaellefebvre

ORIGINAL: jaguarking11

ORIGINAL: Riptide

My buddy has a WRX. His ECU will pull timing in the event he gets gasoline in there that is not at the octane level rated for his tune.

Why do our cars not do the same thing? Shouldn't our ECU pull timing if it senses detonation? I don't understand how you guys are even experiencing pinging/knocking in the first place.

Does noone know?
Our engines are close to 10:1 compression ratio and the timing is already substantially pulled from the factory. The knocking and pinging is not something you hear in our engines at idle, or even under normal driving. It will be apparent once you are climbing the rev range during spirited driving where the car suddenly stops pulling and bogs down due to the ecu pulling timing and making the engine run extremely rich. That is a safety feature. The simple point remains that the engine does not perform like it should especially in the summer where the temps are high.

Put it this way, my intake air temp during the summer is around ~140f with the stock box on. I cant wait to see how my bama tune works out in combination with my c&L. During heavy traffic where you sit for 5minutes and move 10feet I have measured the intake air temp at ~190F with my dash hawk. Lets just say a combination of NY traffic and low octane fuel results in a very suprided driver when he finaly clears the traffic and wants to hit it. However these conditions I encounter almost on a daily basis, and they really do not apply to highway use. If you are crusing on the highway allot then the fuel can be lower octane because the load on the engine is minimal.
I've got the dashawk pluged into a 2007 GT, and I've set it up to monitor the knock sensors.
I don't know what the readings signify.
At idle they usually read in the 50's and 60's millivolts and go up to the 200's whenaccelerating hard.
The car has been filled with 87 since I've had it, and appears to purr like a tiger.
I was concerned that after installing flowmasters the careful balance might be thrown a bit, but it doesnt
appear to have had any negative effect on the engine.
If anyone knows how to "read" the knock sensor's data I'd really appreciate a comment.