Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Syndrome- SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dead Battery Syndrome- WTF...?!

If anyone suspects that there is an unusually high drain on the battery when the vehicle is off, you could try putting a DVOM with an amp/current readability in line with the neg. post of the battery and the negative cable (Disconnected from the battery, of course) and see what it reads. There will be some draw for things like computer memory etc, but it should be in the milliamp range. That is normal. But if you see a draw that approaches the sort of draw that a dome light would draw, then you have a problem.
If you should do this test, whatever you do, don't try to start the vehicle with the DVOM connected orthe DVOMwill be FUBAR.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 PM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the dead battery club
Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

I'm not sure about the Shaker system being a drain on the battery. Although, I have read that on here several times. I know it's not true on my personal car.

I have the Shaker 1000 and leave it all on the time before turning off the car. It hasn't caused a dead battery, in the 31 months I've owned the Mustang.

My car is rarely driven, too. Probably two days out of the the month. I've put about 9,600 miles on it since I purchased it new the first week in January 2006 and only 2,300 miles in the last year. I average about 300 miles per month.

I don't think the Shaker 1000 has the problem. I haven't paid too much attention, but I think it's mostly (or fully) the Shaker 500. In my '07, it doesn't matter if I leave the radio on. But on the '05, if I leave the radio on, the car will be dead the next day. If I turn the radio off, it can sit for weeks. The Shaker radio is not turning off the door sub amps. After the first time this ever happened, I paid close attention, and could actually hear very faint noise coming from the speakers after turning off the car and leaving the radio on. It's the radio. Some exhibit it, some don't.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird problem: battery o.k. but wouldn't start (alarm!)

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

ORIGINAL: Leoleo

Yea, that is the charging gauge, not a battery gauge. I know there is a problem with our cars and the battery draining if left unused to a time. They have a "battery saver" on the cars now, what ever that is. Sounds like the battery, but why could you not "jump" start it? Would Love to know that the dealer says.

Yep, you're right- that is just a "charging" gauge (bummer!).
The dealer explained that to me this afternoon when I dropped by.
They told me the battery was dead and defective and put in a new (better!) one, but want to keep her there till they find out exactly why she died (just defective, or perhaps a short somewhere that was draining power?) so that it doesn't happen again!
I'll let you folks know the verdict as soon as they tell me.
Long live my warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I did try to jump-start it but it didn't work at all, but they jump-started it at the dealers the next morning and it did for them.
I'm hopeless when it comes to fixing anything myself- but at least I know it, and that keeps me from breaking **** and leaving repairs to those more qualified (which is just about everyone on the planet...).

I had the same problem. I drove to a friend's house and was there for about 4 hour and came out and it wouldn't start. I jumped it and it would start, but when I pulled off,it would cut off. I have the Active Anti-theft system and if the battery is dead, it will let you jump the car but won't let you drive. I put in a new battery the next day and all was well. I have more fortunate than others in that the battery lasted 2 1/2 years. I have read here of a lot of others that are in your shoes.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Sue

I have a 2006 gt i removed the shaker system and still my battery drains about every 3 days. this battery is only 3 months old. any suggestions
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've got a shaker 500, I never turn it off and it has never drained my battery - even after being gone 2 weeks in Hawaii.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sue
I have a 2006 gt i removed the shaker system and still my battery drains about every 3 days. this battery is only 3 months old. any suggestions
It could be a bad battery, a bad alternator, too much parasitic drain, a bad connection, or some other rather obscure thing.

Have you been running the car on the highway? If you are just driving around town with headlights, wipers, and climate control on, you are not giving the alternator a chance to fully charge the battery.

If you are into DIY to some extent, see that the battery cable terminals are attached to the battery posts firmly, and that there is no corrosion. If you have a voltmeter, see what the voltage is when charging (generally around 13.5 volts at idle) and what it is with the engine off after the car has sat overnight (should be around 12.65 volts.)

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

edit: btw, nice dead thread revival
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
IIf I turn the radio off, it can sit for weeks. The Shaker radio is not turning off the door sub amps. After the first time this ever happened, I paid close attention, and could actually hear very faint noise coming from the speakers after turning off the car and leaving the radio on. It's the radio. Some exhibit it, some don't.
x2 for me. I can hear the speakers making a weird tone when I sit in it after killing the motor. almost sounds like feedback.
Shaker 1,000 system...100% stock components

my battery can and will go dead in a few days if I don't physically kill the radio using the pushbutton.

has never killed the battery when the radio is turned off prior to sitting for awhile.