Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs and dealers are fuc*ing idiots

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
stangman1976
2nd Gear Member

honestly none of the plugs look good too much blow by piston rings prob worn bad. mustard05 4 plugs where replaced by dealer when new head went on thats why they look dif.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
SURF
1st Gear Member

no you should be able to get 100k miles out of your plugs with no problem i wouldent even attempt changing them untill after atleast 100k. for instance (doode) your old plugs were still in good shape the tips are not filed down at all there was really no sence in changing them, of and make sure you put anti-seize on them so the next time you change them you wont have a problem getting them off.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SURF
no you should be able to get 100k miles out of your plugs with no problem i wouldent even attempt changing them untill after atleast 100k. for instance (doode) your old plugs were still in good shape the tips are not filed down at all there was really no sence in changing them, of and make sure you put anti-seize on them so the next time you change them you wont have a problem getting them off.
His plugs were ****, when you pull a plug it shouldn't be dripping gas, it should be dry and have a grayish color. When it has a lot of gas it usually means your running rich. If your plugs had white residue or were melted then that would mean it is lean.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
His plugs were ****, when you pull a plug it shouldn't be dripping gas, it should be dry and have a grayish color. When it has a lot of gas it usually means your running rich. If your plugs had white residue or were melted then that would mean it is lean.
Thats what im saying, those plugs pulled did not look good. Thats alsl why i asked if he was running a stock, or after market tune. at anytime i can pul a plug, and it looks nothing like that. That looked bad. your running a little on the rich side. You will not have a plug last over 100k with as rich as your running.

Like i said, i can beat the crap out of my car, and im making 500 on pump gas, and my plugs will look great. your plugs are not healthy
Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Gaaretjax

Just swapped my plugs out for Champion 7989. Took me 45mins~

In my opinion it is in your best interest to swap out the motorcraft plugs ASAP. 100$~ piece of mind is worth it in my opinion. I have 6k miles on my stang and I still had 5 of the 8 that felt like I was going to break them trying to get them free. Thankfully no breaks. I also recommend using some thread compound on the new plugs going in. I gap'd my plugs at 0.045. Probably my imagination but the car feels stronger
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

i do my change or checks all the time, takes me about 15 to 20 min. it depends on how many bears ive had.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

1st 4 plugs were from the old heads.

They look really wet because they were soaked with the penetrant oil.
I used it quite liberally because at first the plugs wouldn't budge.

BUT there is quite a lot of crap/ debris on them, i'll give you that.

The 4 other plugs were replaced when the new cylinder head was installed, hence the cleaner look.

I am running a 87 tune from B-chips.

I will probably pull the plugs in a bit to check on them.
Whats your take?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

my take is your tune is rich. i understand that you used a substance to remove them, but it doesnt change the fact that thier is very visible evidence of a rich condition, in my opinion, not to harmful, as you are n/a but still to rich.

i understand that one side is old plugs, and one is new, however both sides look bad
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

well running rich = lose some HP and carbon build up
running lean = detonation and putting a whole in the block

safer to run rich

anyways, end of the day, im just happy i saved $300 in labor from the dealer and they came out

wish everyone else who tries this the best of luck !
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

actually, when it comes to performance, thier is no safer way to be when running with a rich, or a lean condition. thier both bad. are you prob down hp, i would asume, however, running as rich as those plug look to be, you will never have plugs last you as long as they could, since your n/a. i would look into a dif tune just for peace of mind

Quick Reply: Spark plugs and dealers are fuc*ing idiots