Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help me out please??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
gotan05
1st Gear Member

Default Can someone help me out please??

In the 6 months to a yr I plan on getting a S/C. Does it make sense to still get a CAI and tuner in the mean time, or just hold out for the S/C? All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can someone help me out please??

I bought the JLT CAI and the xcal and expect to get a supercharger in about 1 year. As for the tuner, you need it to tune the car anyways, so yes, it is worth it as you have to have it anyways. As for the CAI, if you are truly going to get the supercharger in no more than 6 months, it might be worth waiting on it. I would ask birdieman4 what his thoughts are as to whether you can use a CAI with a supercharger. If not, I would say wait 'til the sc.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gotan05

In the 6 months to a yr I plan on getting a S/C. Does it make sense to still get a CAI and tuner in the mean time, or just hold out for the S/C? All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
You will still need a tuner for the S/C. The CAI could be re-sold or utilized like don_w is trying to do. You will enjoy the power and performance of the CAI and tune till you can get the real power you are looking for. Just my two cents.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:26 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Another one of those questions that the outcome strictly depends on your personal preference. Can you spare the $600 bucks to gain 20 to 30 horsies until you pull the trigger on the SC purchase? If so, sure, why not? If not, then no. Are you going to be happy driving it stock until you make the SC purchase? Or are you already bored with it the way it is? Do you have an actual firm timeline for your SC purchase? Or is 6 months a guestimate? If you buy the CAI, is that going to lengthen that timeline or affect it in any way? This is stuff you have to answer for yourself, we certainly can't do it for you.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

I would wait... hey... you know.. I did wait... $600 is allot of money.. Also it depends on the SC kit you plan to buy.. I'm getting the procharger and they offer a kit thats called the "tunner kit" that doesnt have the tunner or the injectors. I'm not sure about the other groups.. but maybe you can call them and have them knock it off the price. good luck
Old 05-20-2005, 01:56 PM
gotan05
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input. I thnk i'll go with the tuner and hold out on the CAI
Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here's a free power adder you can do in the mean time. Remove the carbon trap in the air intake. That along with the tune will add a good 5-8HP.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Here's a free power adder you can do in the mean time. Remove the carbon trap in the air intake. That along with the tune will add a good 5-8HP.
The tune alone is supposed to give 17 Hp and thats on an Auto. It will get up to 30 Hp in other parts of the power band but peak is 17 Hp with an SCT and I belive that is with the Carbon Trap still installed. Make sure you run Premium gas. Thats 4-5 Hp without a tune.