Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tire is the best value?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Shanec, I personally don't hold a lot of stock in those numbers since they're assigned to the tire by the manufacturer. Despite industry guidelines I'm sure there's plenty of room such that the numbers aren't cracked up to what we'd like them to be. As skewed as the personal reviews may be, I take just as much stock in the ratings (based on user's reviews) such as those on tirerack and other similar websites.

One other factor to remember is that a tire that performs well on one car may not do the same job on another car. At least on tirerack, you may be able to find reviews for a given tire by drivers of the same car as yours (ours).
Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I'll be in the same boat soon. I have KDW2's right now but they're a Summer Only tire. I need a Ultra high performance all season.

Eagle F1's A/S I hear get real noisy after 6-7k miles.

Toyo Proxes 4 have a tread rating of only 300 (but a nice looking tread design)

BFG G-force sport A/S 400 tread rating have received good reviews - not cool looking tread design

the only nitto for 255/45-18 is the INVO and thats only a 220 tread rating - looks like nitto is out of the running for a descent long lasting all season tire.

Not paying $$$ for Michelins...screw that

I'd like to hear others experiences with all season tires. I'm leaning toward the Toyo proxes-4 over the BFG G-spot cuz of the looks.

comments please
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Tires

Michelin, Expensive, but worth every dime.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I am currently running the Toyo Proxe 4's, and I am a fan of them...LOL!!
Thats because your car sits more than you drive it!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

My sumitomos were 100 a piece from the local tire store and they get pretty good traction. The tread wear is also pretty decent, I have about 10k miles on them and I still probably have another 15k or so to go with them, thats with spinning the tires and all. I figured I would only get 10-15k out of them anyway so I guess it worked out for me. I am not sure what I will go with next maybe just get the sumitomo htrz IIIs or something.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grampa_stang
...Eagle F1's A/S I hear get real noisy after 6-7k miles
...Not paying $$$ for Michelins...screw that

I'd like to hear others experiences with all season tires. I'm leaning toward the Toyo proxes-4 over the BFG G-spot cuz of the looks.

comments please
My Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S's have over 12,000 miles on them in 6 months and I don't think they're any noisier now than when I bought them. I try not to drive the Stang in the snow (especially since I have a 4WD SUV) so I can't say how they perform under those conditions. But I've driven many highway miles at 75 MPH in some pretty heavy rains and am very happy with them.

Besides Michelins being expensive, I think their rubber compounds tend to be a bit on the hard side and although the tread life is above average, I was never very happy with their wet weather handling when I ran them on my SUV.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I just bought a set of BFG KDW UHP tires from Sam's Club. Getting them put on tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I have had several sets of Kumho's that I was happy with. Most recent I had Ecsta SPTs on the 07 Mustang. Those were great, they wore evenly and were pretty sticky for not all that much $.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Sheesh...Ok, the F1's are back in the mix. I read some more reviews. I tell ya one thing, they can't be any louder than the BFG KDW-2's. I also have a '03 Durango for Winter driving...but ya never know...anything can happen and I might have to take the Stang out in the snow...and the KDW-2's (being Summer only) I can barely make it up my driveway when there's a trace of snow. I have to go with all seasons.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
2007REDFIREGT
1st Gear Member

What about General Exclaim UHP tires. thats what I have and will buy again. Very little road noise, great in wet weather, and great dry traction, also the ride is smooth w/20's. (DD 60 miles round trip) My wifes 07 Maxima has the Goodyear F1 A/S tires (245/45/18) and they are extremely noisy & ride a little hard, but they do have good wet & dry traction. General's will replace the Goodyear's soon on the 07 Max, also the prices on the General's are cheap. I paid $150.00 each installed on my Mustang GT (245/40/20).

Quick Reply: Which tire is the best value?