Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boss style stripes (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raiden
+1...
+2

Side stripes are the worse. You put them on in the garage where you can't get more than 3 feet away from the side of the car so your view point is way to close. Then you can't see through the transfer tape very well.

I put stripes on mine this weekend and took it out the next day. Looks way different 20 feet away versus 3. Things that I thought were wrong up close aren't even noticeable 20 feet back while things I didn't see at all up close are now visible.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well, I appreciate the sentiments, but I was looking for feedback on purpose. This kit was highly experimental in the first place. The one thing I've learned about appearance mods over the years, is you have to be able to stand back and disassociate yourself from the car. You have to look at it without much emotion, and evaluate it that way. It is natural after having spent some $ and time, to latch on to things as a result. Luckily in this case, vinyl doesn't cost much, which is why I figured I'd give it a shot.

In staring at the pics last night and taking in the feedback, you guys are right about the sides. There was a pretty good idea there, but it wasn't fully realized by the designer. With more harsh angles and attention to placement on the door, I think that kit could be really cool. Anyway, I'm ditching those for sure. In this case, the sides look good from 20' up to about 3' away, but at a distance, even though they are installed correctly, the angles just aren't right.

I do like the hood, but if its not playing into the side stripe/mask effect, then I won't leave it on either. I think I may ditch the plan all together and just go clean. Maybe get some chrome 5-spokes and just try and continue with the retro plan... make it look like a muscle car. A set of the C-style stripes on the side might be ok by themselves in a flat black or something...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:02 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Here's my take on the stripes. Your side stripes and the C-stripes, IMO, are too much of a distraction and interrupt the cars flowing lines. A simpler design would enforce the cars design features and not fight them.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingman75
Here's my take on the stripes. Your side stripes and the C-stripes, IMO, are too much of a distraction and interrupt the cars flowing lines. A simpler design would enforce the cars design features and not fight them.
Yeah I'm thinking at this point I may just do nothing. The one complaint I have about black, is the inherent design features on the car are very muted IMO, which is why I was looking for something more. Someone on here has a red GT with a black C stripe on the side that looks really nice, and very retro. I'll consider that maybe, but not sure I'll even bother.

I found this hood kit last night and thought it would be pretty cool in flat black if the stripe was only about 3-4" wider:

Old 10-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Yeah I'm thinking at this point I may just do nothing. The one complaint I have about black, is the inherent design features on the car are very muted IMO, which is why I was looking for something more. Someone on here has a red GT with a black C stripe on the side that looks really nice, and very retro. I'll consider that maybe, but not sure I'll even bother.

I found this hood kit last night and thought it would be pretty cool in flat black if the stripe was only about 3-4" wider:

That is neat. I'd like it if it were closer to a foot wider though.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
MustangMarker
I ♥ Acer

Strips on the side would look a lot better if they went with the body lines aswell
Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

At the end of the day what matters most is that YOU are happy with the car. It's your car, and you're the one who has to drive it. You might as well make it so that you're happy with it. Now, that being said, it is also important to make sure that you're complimenting the car's lines and not doing something that will take away from it's manufactured beauty. It's always about complimenting, not distracting. You can fix a car up to make it look great, but you can also fix it up to make it look bad. We've all seen cases of both, even if we don't always mention it.

Another thing to bare in mind is where you want to go with the car. Think about the desired look you're trying to achieve. You say retro. Well, the good news is that our cars are already retro looking. Yet, retro can mean several things. It can mean the Mustangs of the mid '60s, it can mean the GT500, it can mean the Mach 1, the Boss 302, etc. Some of us like to go for one of these particular looks, and the mods we do to the exterior eventually get us to achieving these looks. Then there are some of us that take a bit from each look and do a completely unique Mustang that is a mixture of heritage. I prefer going for a particular look. It's all dependent on what you are trying to achieve. So think about that for a bit and then decide how you wanto to go about achieving your look. There are plenty to choose from, and if you wish, you can be downright unique and do your own thing.

Have fun and good luck.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I think at this point, I'm just going to leave it clean with no stripes. I figured I'd try out a kit I hadn't seen before, and I'm not real happy with it overall since it didn't pan out to fit like I had hoped. No biggie, its just vinyl and wasn't that much $$$. I don't want to do LeMans stripes on the car, or a superstripe that has become popular lately, so that really leaves nothing else...

By retro I was meaning stuff like the rear window louvers, chrome "Cragar" style wheels from "back in the day", etc. There are some drop dead gorgeous cars on here, but many of them don't look much like an oldschool muscle car. I guess thats the look I'm talking about if that makes sense.

Anyhow, I'll be bringing it in for 4.10s gears in a few weeks, then going with a centrifugal supercharger in the spring. Until then, I'm going to find a nice set of wheels (probably chrome for the first time in my life), and then add some exterior mods like an "eleanor" grille, maybe some aluminum rear window louvers, and perhaps some scoops or something, we'll see... I've been really, really digging the deep dish Mach 1 chrome wheels they have at American Muscle lately. I think I might do those. At 17x9, they are the exact size I want too... Now I just need an endless supply of money. Here they are: