Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen Install on my 06GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Hey Cam, you talking about the Mustangs Unlimited show that weekend?

no, I was actually talking about the Po-Boys cruise-in off of Riverstone Parkway, which is right around the corner from my house.

I just checked the mustangs unlimited site and saw that the annual fall pony round up is the same day....hmmmm, are you gonna be there?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Was thinking about it, I have to see if my girl wants to go cus I would love to see your ride now after the conversion.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Eric3d

05 Stang, man I wish I was in town. I currently work for ASA (Captain on the CRJ200) and am working weekends this month. I would have liked to have driven up. I am in Cobb, County on the NW side of ATL. I will keep in touch and see if next spring things work out better!

Thanks guys. This board and its members have a lot of great information that I have spent way too many hours reading. Thought I would post some of my results!

Lots of other mods in the works! I need to do some more body stuff. I have a set of Cervini side window louvers and really want their C series front bumper and I 06ELNR's cowl hood. I have not decided yet on a 2 tone paint job like 06ELNR or a type of ghost flame job. I wanted stripes but EVERY darn stang I see has them and I just want something different.

Yes I am sure other intakes would be better on the HP side of things. The issue is then the tune needs to be updated and I really don't want more HP right now. For more HP I need to upgrade some suspension stuff, probably will need a clutch, and I really don't trust the motor bottom end at all. Around 475HP (for me) seems fairly safe. When I am ready to build the motor I will do cams, headers, full intake, 12-14 psi pulley and get it over with. My 96 cobra was built and I have been around Hot Rods quite a lot so I know what kind of $ is involved in making HP.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric3d
05 Stang, man I wish I was in town. I currently work for ASA (Captain on the CRJ200) and am working weekends this month. I would have liked to have driven up. I am in Cobb, County on the NW side of ATL. I will keep in touch and see if next spring things work out better!

Thanks guys. This board and its members have a lot of great information that I have spent way too many hours reading. Thought I would post some of my results!

Lots of other mods in the works! I need to do some more body stuff. I have a set of Cervini side window louvers and really want their C series front bumper and I 06ELNR's cowl hood. I have not decided yet on a 2 tone paint job like 06ELNR or a type of ghost flame job. I wanted stripes but EVERY darn stang I see has them and I just want something different.

Yes I am sure other intakes would be better on the HP side of things. The issue is then the tune needs to be updated and I really don't want more HP right now. For more HP I need to upgrade some suspension stuff, probably will need a clutch, and I really don't trust the motor bottom end at all. Around 475HP (for me) seems fairly safe. When I am ready to build the motor I will do cams, headers, full intake, 12-14 psi pulley and get it over with. My 96 cobra was built and I have been around Hot Rods quite a lot so I know what kind of $ is involved in making HP.

yeah Eric, PM me when you get back. I am just North of you, up I-575. Some friends and I are always getting together and doing stuff.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

famous last words.......

i hear you, that's how most of us
feel after the first boost injection.

I really don't want more HP right now.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I am new to the saleen S/C. How does it work??? I don't see any belts or blowers? How does it work?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Eric3d

05 Mustang, great thanks for the invite. I definitely like your new front end. See your car is very clean yet quite unique. The wheels make it also stand out. That is a great looking car. It is always a balance where to spend money... looks vs performance. Nice to find a balance for those of us that just like to enjoy the car but not go to the track other than test and tune nights.

Hammeron, I definitely hear you on that one! My 96 was modded quite heavily so I think I got a lot of it out of my system. This is my 4th performance car build up so I have a pretty good idea of what I want in this car. I will admit it is hard to ever have too much power. I do know from experience it sucks to throw a rod out the side of a perfectly good block... I also know just "putting in a built short block" always results in 4 times your initial calculated cost... it leads to heads, cams, headers, new tranny, rear end, strength issues, and just breaking parts that really should not break lol.. just how it goes.

My next steps will probably be headers, exhaust, and some Cervini body parts.

Mustangs4U. It is like any other S/C. It is a twin screw style but they package it "neatly". The intercooler is on top and the screws are on the bottom. It is not the highest performance setup (Kenny Bell or Whipple) but for "normal" street applications it is a good blower. If you want to run 700hp+ get a KB or Whipple. If you want a 500-600hp hotrod the Saleen is a decent option. I got a good price on it and think it just looks good under the hood. Install took me about 12-14 hours including gauges and painting my valve covers. It is straight forward and most any "do it yourself-er" should be able to tackle it with some patience. I have personally built many motors and done lots of mods so I would rate this a 3-4 on a scale to 10.

Eric
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok cool, keep the pics coming as you build
up the stang

My next steps will probably be headers, exhaust, and some Cervini body parts.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

nice man congrats
Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Eric3d

There are lots of very hot cars on here. It is nice to see what people are doing to make their rides unique.