Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the scoop on Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

you put it around the area the shifter comes through the floor...if you read taco bills write up on his shifter install it is documented very well
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

In a perfect world you would apply it to every piece of metal on the inside of your car that could vibrate and allow sound in. I mean everything, inside the trunk, on the underside of the decklid, multiple layers on the flat of the floor, the headliner, the inside of the fire wall, the a and b pillers, etc. I've even seen people go so far as to apply sound deadening under their hood and in the wheel wells. That was mostly for extreme audio applications. It's especially important to apply it on the inside of the door, both on the inner an outer skins. I've seen it applied to the inside of the door trim panels as well.

Realistically I think you'll be extremely satisfied applying at least 1 good layer inside the trunk, on the floor pan, and on the inner door skin between it and the trim panels. You'll be suprised what a difference it will make. I know that I applied second skin products all in the inside of my truck and it was probably my favorite mod. It was like riding in a BMW, except it was a chevrolet pickup truck lol.

I wouldn't buy dynamat, nothing wrong with it, just you can get equivalent stuff cheaper. I highly recommend second skin, found here http://www.secondskinaudio.com/. they offer high quality products and have a nice support forum for any questions you may have during the process. I've also heard good things about raamat http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=hm though I have no personal experience with their product. Fat mat I've also heard good things, but again, i can't vouch for it.

It may seem like a lot of money, but it really adds a lot to your car as far as overall vehicle quality goes.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Smile

well I had Frpp exhaust and it droned like crazy. I then put in dynamat everywhere, under the seats, top of trunk, spare tire area, trunk floor, up to the firewall. Not the doors however. Still droned like crazy. But the car felt unusually solid, like a BMW or a Merc. Its really very cool in the summer and really warm in the winter. But it STILL droned at 1800 RPM....So I changed the exhaust to Corsas and the car is perfect. Except for the KR hood which I don't have.....yet!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ya I had it on parts of the shifter the one side of the torque arm I guess its called the one that dont move then it was about the linkage arm that does moveand on the bootom cut out nicely.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I used FAT MAT in my trunk. So far it has held up well and made my subs sound much better. I plan to do more of the car next summer as it needs to be hot outside when installing it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
well I had Frpp exhaust and it droned like crazy. I then put in dynamat everywhere, under the seats, top of trunk, spare tire area, trunk floor, up to the firewall. Not the doors however. Still droned like crazy. But the car felt unusually solid, like a BMW or a Merc. Its really very cool in the summer and really warm in the winter. But it STILL droned at 1800 RPM....So I changed the exhaust to Corsas and the car is perfect. Except for the KR hood which I don't have.....yet!
How it works is that it kills vibrations resonating from a particular surface, which is why it kills road noise, because the sound is actually coming from the floor pan itself. So, in simple terms it doesn't block sound, it stops vibrations. That drone was coming from the exhaust pipes resonating at a particular frequency, and really is independent from the stuff you deadened. Sound deadener mat is glorified stick on added weight, hence the solid luxury car feeling. It is not, as commonly mistaken a sound absorbing material. That is where the foam mats and such that second skin and raamat also sell come into play. To be as affective as possible, you need to pair the two in your installation, which is farther than any normal car owner really wants to go usually.

Last edited by tire31539; 10-16-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

There's all kinds of tutorials and FAQ's on second skin and raamat's websites that I posted if you're really interested in this stuff since I've gone about as far as I know dealing with this stuff.

I hope some of this info may have answered some questions people may have had.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:32 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i wanna do this myself to i think im goin to do the trunk first then ill go from there do a little at a time so i dont lose my wallet
Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I really like my Bassani exhaust setup, but it is really loud. The interior noise level is a little annoying. I've considered going back to stock and just forgetting the word exhaust for good. That has been the biggest headache of this car.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

keep the exhaust it sound sweet

Quick Reply: What's the scoop on Dynamat?