Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the scoop on Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I did my trunk, rear seats, and doors with RAAMmat and it made a huge difference. It is cheaper than secondskin and is very easy to apply. You just unroll it, cut it with a pair of scissors, then peal the wax paper back off and stick it. I have corsa mufflers however, so drone was never a problem to begin with.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

second skin audio. Use their damplifier.

If you want to google sound deadner testing you'll find out that they came out #1 in every test.

Rear fender wells, under rear seat, under the carpet, both door skins, roof. Are most critical. So hit those before anything else. If you have a system do the trunk first.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I don't have a sound system. I don't even use the Shaker 500 it came with. The easy thing would be to get resonators welded in, but I'm afraid it would destroy my exhaust note.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:41 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
I don't have a sound system. I don't even use the Shaker 500 it came with. The easy thing would be to get resonators welded in, but I'm afraid it would destroy my exhaust note.
you shouldnt have problom according to ppl who have it done
Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I just installed RAAMmat BXT and their foam layer, Ensolite, in the rear half of my car. I put the raammat under my rear seats. I put the raammat and ensolite on the rear side panels, rear quarter panels, and trunk.

I used several layers of the mat in the spare tire well, and on top of that - alternating layers of raammat & ensolite - since is sounds like a subwoofer when you knock on it. Put double layers of mat and double layers of ensolite everywhere near the mufflers. I even put the mat & ensolite on both sides of the rear deck where they speakers go.

The only thing I didn't do was the trunk lid. I was tired and knew I lacked patience to install it in a way that would be nice & clean to look at every time I opened the trunk. Since I don't have a sub, I'm not sure the trunk lid means much anyway.

Needless to say I covered the #@*$^& out of the rear of my car. Overkill even.

Put it all back together, cranked 'er up in the driveway and reved it a little. Not a lick of difference. Haven't driven it yet. It surely will cut down on road noise. But as far as muting out drone goes - it didn't make a bit of difference.

Later, when I upgrade my speakers, I'll do the doors. One day when I run out of stuff to do I may do the floor. I understand that sound-proofing the floor is highly underrated. Heck, maybe that's where the drone comes from if vibrating exhaust pipes is contributing to drone. Sigh. After all this work I'm not in a big hurry to take the car apart again.

Last edited by shanec; 11-09-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Feedback from the first drive after the install - WASTE OF MONEY as far as exhaust goes. Drone is no better (its not bad with GTAs anyway - but I'd like a different muffler and was hoping to better tolerate one with drone if this experiment worked). Overall exhaust is quieter. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't.

Maybe I'll hear my exhaust again when I get my headers in later.

IMO, this stuff is OK for front doors to remove road noise. But don't put it in the back if you like the sound of your exhaust inside the car. Maybe put a little in the back if your subwoofer is making stuff rattle, but that would be about it.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

secondskin
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

I heard it was a waste of money as well. Not worth the time.