Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Spark Plug HELP!! scary pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MUSTANGLOVER73
i have a new set of the champions in the box if anybody wants them for $80 shipped. I bought a paxton FI and went with the HTO's.
That is a great price, someone needs to jump on those. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking at a bunch of different glues and epoxies. Someone gave me a pretty good idea to use gorilla glue on the broken end of the spark plug, re-insert it into the electrode that's stuck in my engine, let it set overnight and then pull it out. Would anyone else agree with this? It sounds like it would work, but does anyone know which loctite epoxy (or gorilla glue) will bond metal to porcelain?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
If I remember correctly there was a guy on here that created his own "custom" tool to remove the lower part of the plug from the head. Anything you can get down there and "hook" onto the shroud should work but be careful with the alum head not to damage it. whatever the cost, you'll rest easier knowing those 2-piece plugs are out of there.

Do you remember how he created his custom tool?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 AM
SGT3670

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
I'm looking at a bunch of different glues and epoxies. Someone gave me a pretty good idea to use gorilla glue on the broken end of the spark plug, re-insert it into the electrode that's stuck in my engine, let it set overnight and then pull it out. Would anyone else agree with this? It sounds like it would work, but does anyone know which loctite epoxy (or gorilla glue) will bond metal to porcelain?
I tried this with JB weld. Needless to say it didn't work. I let the JB weld set up overnight and the "weld" did not hold. I sent you a pic via email.

Stangharley - I always forget about photobucket. I just thought that I was not able to post pics due to having limited posts.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MUSTANGLOVER73
i have a new set of the champions in the box if anybody wants them for $80 shipped. I bought a paxton FI and went with the HTO's.
If they were never installed, I'll take em.
PM me the info.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM
illini4
1st Gear Member

NAPA is supposed to have the tool. I changed mine a couple weeks ago. No problem encountered. I used Aerokroil instead of Ford carb cleaner, and the deposits seemed to be disolved. Somehow dripping carb cleaner into a combustion chamber doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I bought the plugs from Summit Racing for $12.95 ea; about $123 total with shipping. I recently bought Champion copper plugs for my 300C Hemi for $1 ea at Pep Boys.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cavediver
The Champion's are traditional one piece plugs and are an excellent product. You don't have to worry about the POS Motorcraft ones coming apart either. I've had mine in since early spring and my Mustang runs great with them.
champion plugs are worse then bosch and extreamly overpiced, good way to get a CEL and misfires. i dont even run them in my chain saws or lawn mower anymore.

stock autolights or even halo plugs or NGKs with a dab of antiseize will be fine
Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
champion plugs are worse then bosch and extreamly overpiced, good way to get a CEL and misfires. i dont even run them in my chain saws or lawn mower anymore.

stock autolights or even halo plugs or NGKs with a dab of antiseize will be fine
Urban legend and nothing more. Do a little search on the Mustang forums and you'll find MANY of us using these new Champion plugs with great results.

FWIW, the Autolites are POS just like the Motorcrafts. They are 2-piece design and are causing the problems the OP had. BTW, NKG doesn't even make a plug for the 4.6 05-09 Mustang.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Just so you know, the 05-09 take a new design of spark plug that most manufacturers don't make.

Originally Posted by mustangman02232

Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Wow I had never looked at this, I only have 12,500 miles but I think im going to swap out ASAP

Quick Reply: Broken Spark Plug HELP!! scary pics inside