Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take or Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Take or Wait?

And remember, an 05 delivered near the end of the 2005 model year will have a lot fewer miles on it that an 05 which was delivered in the fall of 2004. The mileage has a lot to do with resale value, too.

Also, unless you plan on leaving it bone stock, the number and type of mods you make will affect it's value down the road... could be good, could be bad.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

You should also factor in the price increase for the 06 model. It may be as little as $1500.00 and possibly much more.
My salesman told me the price increase should be around 250-400.
Which is about average
Old 05-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

== The plant MUST shut down at the end of June for change over to take place (the plant is shut down for two weeks==

The latest word from "those in the know" is the plant will not shut down at all. It doesn't need to because there is so little difference between the '05 and '06 (a couple of color changes, new wheel option). There is no retooling required. Suuposedly '05's will be made into August.

==And remember, an 05 delivered near the end of the 2005 model year will have a lot fewer miles on it that an 05 which was delivered in the fall of 2004. The mileage has a lot to do with resale value, too. ==

I agree, moreso than the year in fact. If you can get your '05, then stick with it. It's possible that Ford will flood the market with '06's and availibility will not be an issue, but it's also possible that they will still be in short supply and reordering may postpone you getting behind the wheel for another 6 months or more.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:49 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scaught

I am going to keep mine forever, so screw resale value. If I want a newer of different car, I'll just buy another. This car in it's first production year will be the bad *** of them all.... I was on fire to have this car and wanted it before the summer. I now have it and I am happy. It would have killed me to wait for an '06.
Amen brother! I had my heart set on this car since I saw the prototype unveiled a couple years ago!!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

Amen brother! I had my heart set on this car since I saw the prototype unveiled a couple years ago!!

yeah i LOVED the concept version... although i like the tailight config from the concept a bit more... but it wasnt retro enough i guess

-Stick
Old 05-25-2005, 12:26 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

The tailights were the Shelby/Cougar design (in fact, the original Shelby's used Cougar lights). I like them a lot (I had a 1970 Cougar with them), but I prefer the current lights. More like a Mustang...
Old 05-25-2005, 01:13 AM
ponytx
2nd Gear Member

I say wait for the 06, that way there is less 05ers on the road...hee hee j/k.

Anyways, the 06ers might have some of our wrinkles ironed out (e.g. that crappy shaker 500).
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PullMeOverRed05

I am curious about the statement that stang9325 made. I don't agree that if your car doesn't get built by the end of 05 that it automatically ends up being one of the first built 06s. I never heard this before and I would think a dealer wouldn't do this.. First off , contractually you agreed to buy a 05, and unless all the options and more importantly pricing is exactly the same, they wouldn't have the consent to make the car.

This is my biggest concern is that my 05 doesn't get built, my 05 price/options aren't protected and I have to fill out the paperwork and wait in the production line again for the 06
What I meant by that was those that didn't get their 05 built would be first in line to get an 06 built. Obviously they couldn't just assume you wanted an 06 and go ahead with your order due to different options and pricing. You would have to agree, go through the options again, and then you would be first in line to get one built.

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

The latest word from "those in the know" is the plant will not shut down at all. It doesn't need to because there is so little difference between the '05 and '06 (a couple of color changes, new wheel option). There is no retooling required. Suuposedly '05's will be made into August.
The plant shuts down for 2 weeks a year, every year. Not only for change over but this has always been a vacation for the employees. I highly doubt that they will keep the plant open just to complete a couple thousand orders. I don't think the "those in the know", know what they are talking about. I don't personally know anyone that works at the Flat Rock plant, but three of my family members work at the Wixom plant and they haven't heard even the mention that the Flat Rock plant would stay open...it's just not done.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

While I cannot see the new Mustang being the perfect family car, it is a joy to drive every day. My 2005 was a birthday/mid-life crisis present from my wife. I use it to commute 30 miles each way to work. It is a head turner. I have everyone from 10 year old kids, 30 year old ladies and 50 year old men tell me what a great looking car it is almost every day. When someone driving a Chevy truck or a Vette gives you the big thumbs up at the redlight you know it has to be an excellent looking car. If you plan on trading ths car in the near (3-5 years) future, I suggest you wait for the 2006. If you buy a 2005 now it will be almost a year old by the time you take delivery. If you plan to keep it (like I do) then a 2005 being the first year of the new body style will be the better choice. If you check this board you will see waiting for your new Mustang will be a painful experience either way you decide to go. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:17 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

From what I have been reading on another forum, the last day of production for the 05 model year is August 6th with the 06 model year production starting August 8th. I would stick to what I have ordered unless you find what you want on another dealers lot. If you want a color that is new for 06, then I would wait for the 06 model. But you also need to remember by the time you place your order for the 06 and it gets into the system, you may have another long wait. If you have waited this long, what is another couple of weeks? Plus, you also get the benefit of less mileage at a cheaper cost. With prices of fuel gone up, will delivery be more expensive? Who knows, only Ford and the carriers know that answer. But the choice is ultimately yours. If what I want is the same in 06 and I have an 05 ordered, I would definately take the 05 over the 06.

Quick Reply: Take or Wait?