Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take or Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Default Take or Wait?

I ordered a 2005 Mustang GT on 4/16/05. My dealership told me that it would be another two weeks until I get a build date. I just spoke to the Ford hotline and the woman told me that it would be two to three weeks until I get a build week. My question is should I take the 2005 or wait for a 2006. I have already ruled out the "fan blade" wheels because I really like the bullits. I have also heard that Ford is extending the production time for 2005, there for it would be a longer wait if I wanted to get a 2006. I haven't heard of any "major" problems with the 2005 either. One thing is that the re-sale value in a couple of years may be slightly lower. I wanted to hear all of your opinions on this issue. "Major" problems? Re-sale value? Extending 2005 production time? What would yall do? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks BRAD B
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Take or Wait?

If it were me, I'd take the first one I could get that had my personal minimum requirements (color, interior, tranny, etc). If you can get your 05' still, why wait for the '06? Re-sale value would not even enter into the equation for me.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:28 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Very true. I keep switching from what donw thinks to just waiting for a 2006 becuase it is a year newer. CAn we get some more opinions?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:37 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

Resale/ trade-in value is a big point for me, I'd wait.
Wont be long, I havent heard anything about extending the production time, but you never know....
Old 05-24-2005, 06:50 PM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

There will not be an extended production time. The plant MUST shut down at the end of June for change over to take place (the plant is shut down for two weeks). Whatever 05's that have not been built by then never will be. They will automatically be in line as the first vehicles to be produced as an 06 model.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM
MIGREAT 05GTCONV

my GT Conv is scheduled to be built June 20th...as far as resale value, I will market it as the newest '05 around, the changes will be so minor in '06 that I don't think it is a factor, I would like the 18" wheels but I am probably getting 19" aftermarket wheels anyways.

Plus I got x-plan pricing so that makes up for some resale loss...
Old 05-24-2005, 07:36 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

You should also factor in the price increase for the 06 model. It may be as little as $1500.00 and possibly much more. Since I plan on keeping the GT I now have, resale is of no consideration. I'm just glad I got the car when I did.

Steve
Old 05-24-2005, 07:50 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment.. I am sticking with my order. While getting a car at the end of the model year is a depreciation concern, I'm not really concerned about the resale value, because I don't plan on selling the car anytime soon. In fact, far down the road, the 2005 might even be worth more than the 06 because it was the first model year run if these cars become collectors item (i.e 64 1/2 vs. 66).

I am curious about the statement that stang9325 made. I don't agree that if your car doesn't get built by the end of 05 that it automatically ends up being one of the first built 06s. I never heard this before and I would think a dealer wouldn't do this.. First off , contractually you agreed to buy a 05, and unless all the options and more importantly pricing is exactly the same, they wouldn't have the consent to make the car.

This is my biggest concern is that my 05 doesn't get built, my 05 price/options aren't protected and I have to fill out the paperwork and wait in the production line again for the 06
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

If you plan on selling the car in a few years, the resale value might be slightly greater on the '06 but you also have to factor in the higher cost as previously stated. If you are going to keep it for quite a few years, the resale value on the '05 would probably be greater since there will have been less of them built.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

I am going to keep mine forever, so screw resale value. If I want a newer of different car, I'll just buy another. This car in it's first production year will be the bad *** of them all. The day I bought mine as I drove home I got behind a 64 stang in traffic and followed him for an hour creepy crawling. I just thought it ironic. The newest following the oldest. I was on fire to have this car and wanted it before the summer. I now have it and I am happy. It would have killed me to wait for an '06.

Quick Reply: Take or Wait?