Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will these mods do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

Default What will these mods do?

Im going to get a Delete plate, 4.10 gears, UDP for my automatic to go along with my Off road X and CAI and tune from brenspeed. What can i expect out of the car after this.
What kind of times will i see at the track?

im also consider nitrous, will a 75 shot shorten my engines life if i do ever thing right?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Get cams UDP and 3.73 gears and skip the nitrous, it's annoying to refill. Also slower because the nitrous only kicks in at WOT and it's designed to add 75 hp some of the time, cams add 40hp most of the time.

Nitrous is a trick that drag racers use, it doesn't work in the real world.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

why 3.73? also what you mean nitrous dosent work in the real world? From what ive seen nitrous works all the time you want the power to be there in a race.
And what cam add 40HP with just a cam install?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:20 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

There is an auto on here with some bolt-ons and 100 shot and he's running high 11s!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

ya im just looking at getting support mods to help put the power from nitrous to the ground.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:37 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

I thought you had to do heads and cams to get anywhere near 40 hp? It's price competitive with a supercharger in my opinion.

A 75 shot will be fine on your car and shouldn't really harm it's reliability. You won't even need new spark plugs with that amount. The fact that the system is off most of the time can actually be an advantage of sorts.

As far as not working in the real world, I haven't had any problems with my system. The wide open throttle switch in the NOS kit operates at 58 or 59% throttle when set to the voltage recommendation in the kit, that's according to my Aerofroce Scan Gauge. Whenever I'm between 3k-6k rpm and that condition is met it sprays. I've used it go from 30 to 60 mph and from a dead stop to 100 mph.

CMCV deletes, x-pipe, and UDP will probably set you back $700 or $750 plus any installation costs or shipping. I don't think the gains would be all that significant.

If you're thinking nitrous, then I'd do that first with an intake and a tune and those other mods later, then again, you may want to consider suspension mods or tires first. Lower control arms and/or upper control arms are a good place to start suspension wise. I added lower controls before doing nitrous.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 11-13-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

So n2o will shorten the engines life? also what are you running at the track?
and ya i have no clue where that guy pulled the info from ive havent seen just a cam give you 40 HP
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

Here's a few nitrous FAQ's that might help:

http://www.speed-sports.com/holley/NOS_FAQ.html
http://www.zex.com/Products/FAQ.asp
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/faq.htm

Nitrous is not really any different than boost, stay within a safe limit and you'll be ok. I've only been spraying for a few months with no ill effects so far. Perhaps someone can chime in that's filled the bottle a few more times than myself...

Trust me, I had concerns, too. My kit came with 50 and 75 hp jetting. I started off using the 50 shot jets that came with the kit until I built my confidence up. It wasn't enough for me, but it's an option...a very conservative one. The kit you buy will come with various jets for several horsepower levels that are simple to change.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 11-13-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I'm familiar with nos.

59% nos activation is SUPER high, but i guess that makes sense for a street kit.

I know the nos race level power kits which open at like 20% and if you try to do a highway passing maneuver in those it won't work. Also from what I know about the direct port system from them you need to actually vary the amount of nos as your rpm goes up so it's not the same shot all the time, only when you're at the right rpm.

As long as he knows it works for minutes over the hours you drive due to the limited liquid on board, and he gets that it's 50 state illegal he's fine.

If you're not asking about cams any more I won't go into them but 3.73 gears are the ones to have for the auto.

While having a 640hp monster car (my car) you don't learn much about street nitrous, cars designed around it are necessary to compare and compete and those just aren't equal on the street at that point which is why i'd disagree that nitrous is just another type of boost.

It's a kitten in a world of lions when it's used all on it's own because you can barley use it. For example NOS actually says in lots of high end kits that it can only run for 40 seconds according to the THEIR testing. I've never even heard that remotely from an SC engine.

Last edited by Legion5; 11-13-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

ya i was wonder what cams add 40 HP i know will mabe head a delete plates thay can? im not sure. I would rather have a FI system but i just dont have the money for one atm and nos seems to be a great bang for buck.

Quick Reply: What will these mods do?