Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle position sensor failed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

going to the dealership today to put on the new sensor....since i am in georgia, they don't care about cai or o/r exhaust..plus, i know the owner........i'll keep everyone posted
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

well there is a couple of things, if you use 87 octane like many of us have due to the gas prices your TB probably needs a good cleaning. Your TB does not adjust to carbon build up around and behind the throttle plate. the TB opens the blade just a little to allow idle, now if you have a ton of crap behind it, it will rough idle and the idle will go up and down and also start to idle around 1000 rpm and up. all you need to do is take a throttle body cleaner and do two steps. First clean with spraying and then take a smooth cloth and lift up you throttle blade spray the cleaner on the rag and clean around and behind the throttle blade. You will be amazed at the crap you will take out. remember you are pulling in oil also from the tube that is attached to your valve cover. so good luck.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
BossStanger

Mine went out on my 06, be careful you don't snap the screws off when you replace it. :-(
Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

The throttle positioning sensor failure shows up during start up. In order to start the car you need to put the throttle down just like you were starting an old car. Hold down the throttle until it starts then keep adjusting the throttle pressure to keep the car running until the circuit loop opens up. Then the car should drive normally until you can get it to the dealer or home to repair it yourself. If you back pin the TPS you can use a multimeter to see if the correct voltage indication is present. I believe it will be a max of 5 volts (DC) and should change as you move the throttle. I don't know what the part costs theses days, but it was $26 on my 97 F 150. It has been the only part on my F 150 that failed. (200,000 mile and still going)
Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

Talking Not all are Stealerships!

Originally Posted by nmd55
this isnt covered under warranty if u have a CAI right?
yesterday, i brought her to my local "dealership" where i bought the gt..turns out it is the whole throttle body!!!! i had my jlt cai on and everything else that would void a warranty(exhaust,etc.), and they went far beyond my expectations!!!!!!! they took the TB off of an 09 GT that they had in the lot and put it on mine!!!!yes, you read it correctly....so, they will get there money from Ford by sending them my TB and everyone wins....the car runs perfectly... i will have pictures here and in my album if you want to see the two cars together. the 09 had that sweet glass top!!!! not all are Stealerships!!
Attached Thumbnails throttle position sensor failed-112508_1024-00-.jpg   throttle position sensor failed-112508_1026-01-.jpg   throttle position sensor failed-112508_1035-01-.jpg   throttle position sensor failed-112508_1026-00-.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
Holy crap this seems to be happening more and more and more and more...

Mine is an 06, failed TPS, turns out it was the TB. Hope this helps!
Originally Posted by 1morepart
yesterday, i brought her to my local "dealership" where i bought the gt..turns out it is the whole throttle body!!!! i had my jlt cai on and everything else that would void a warranty(exhaust,etc.), and they went far beyond my expectations!!!!!!! they took the TB off of an 09 GT that they had in the lot and put it on mine!!!!yes, you read it correctly....so, they will get there money from Ford by sending them my TB and everyone wins....the car runs perfectly... i will have pictures here and in my album if you want to see the two cars together. the 09 had that sweet glass top!!!! not all are Stealerships!!
and so many people doubt me when I say it...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

i never doubted the possibility
Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

next you gotta tell them your roof is leaking so you get the glass top!!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
i never doubted the possibility
I'm not saying you. But this is like the 5th thread I've posted this in, and everyone telling me it was just the TPS...
Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

Wink i know

Originally Posted by nmd55
next you gotta tell them your roof is leaking so you get the glass top!!
that roof is awesome.....might need to switch them!!!
Attached Thumbnails throttle position sensor failed-112508_1024-03-.jpg  

Quick Reply: throttle position sensor failed