problem with emissions check for inspection - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

problem with emissions check for inspection

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

problem with emissions check for inspection

Old 11-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
unplug battery for an hour, then the CEL should be gone, check all connections with the air intake and such. If the light comes back after that then you have bigger problems somewere
I don't think he said he had a CEL on?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by surfbum7190 View Post
i took my car in completely stock besides my intake/tune and everyyhing passed, but they could not run the tests for the emissions because they said the cars computer would not allow them to. i automatically thought it was the tune, so i loaded the stock tune on, drove the car for about a week and then took it back. same problem occured. anyone know what could be wrong?
If you are saying they are unable to read the cars computer with their scanner, a fuse for the OBD port could be blown. I have run across this at my shop more than a few times.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by surfbum7190 View Post
im not an idiot i put my stock exhaust back on. everything about the car is stock now. My tuner still says i am running lean though and i am positive my stock tune loaded
lol.. didn't know that part..
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

You sure can hook them up backwards but it seems it would cause a rich condition not lean. The sensors are the same but the right harness has to be hooked the the right sensor and same for he left or the ecm will be confused.

Copied from Brenspeed

Front 02 Sensor Harness Location

One of the biggest mistakes after removing the front 02 sensors on a 05 and newer mustang is re-installing the wiring harness incorrectly. The result is an overly rich condition along with poor idle and part throttle acceleration. We receive calls for this after turbo installs, exhaust installs, clutch installs, and any other time a customer removes the front 02 harness. Ford has located your 02 harness in a location that makes it very easy to mistake the left for the right and vise versa. When you do this the computer will try to compensate the wrong bank of the engine for a 02 signal from the opposite bank. Not only will this make the car drive very terrible but it can make part throttle acceleration at times impossible.

Solution? Check out the image to the right to view the correct factory Ford routing of the 02 harness. You MUST use this routing or your engine will not run correctly. This is the first thing we have customers check after they have removed the front 02 sensors and then reinstalled them to find part throttle and idle engine issues. We have had cars shipped to us from as far as 12 hours away to find out this was what was causing all their troubles after they installed long tube headers. Take the time to confirm you wire the front 02's correctly and GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Wow, thats interesting. Thanks. Been a while since I installed my or/h havent been under there in a while.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I just installed the emissions tune today. How long should I drive around before attempting to get my rejection sticker fixed?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl View Post
I just installed the emissions tune today. How long should I drive around before attempting to get my rejection sticker fixed?

I just went to emissions and since I had swapped tunes the day before, they couldn't test my car. They said to drive the car normally for 10-14 days and come back.

So I am driving on the stock tune and it feels like I am towing a @#&! trailer around.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Last year I switched back to the stock tune, but with the Steeda intake, I got a engine light. I ended up putting the stock intake back on just to get the sticker.

This year I'm hoping the emissions tune will do the trick. Rejection paper work says I have 60 days to fix the problem, so I can easily put on 50+ miles before I try to pass again.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 PM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

yea had the same problem. computer not ready to read emmisions data. put the stock tune & intake on drove it a few days. it passed today