Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring a sub and an Amp to stock shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Psych
Hey guys, first things first. I'm VERY NEW to upgrading sound systems and gonna need noob level explaining lol. With that being said I'd appreciate the help !!!

I'm getting things together to upgrade my 05 stangs shaker500 with 2 8" rockford punch he2 subs and a 1200w (V600.2 Vanquish) 2 channel amp. I'm really looking for some info on what type of deck to get and if i'll need to replace the speakers... i really like already having the door subs tho :/

Well please respond with any info i'll need to know about what i already asked and more!.... dont worry i'm dishing out the cash to have it professionally installed lol. THANKS!
Well, if your dishing it out for a pro install then let them do all the work for you. All you need to do is to give them what your looking for in your system. Go to a good shop that does this kind of thing professionally, as in they have show cars they setup for sound comp's. Tell them what type of music you like and how you like to play it so they can pick out the best system for you. After that its all just a matter of money, you tell them how much you want to spend and they can tell you what they can do for you.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Psych

Well when i say professional install i mean... not myself or my friend from down the street lol will probably take it somewhere like Circuit city or bestbuy unless thats just plain bad. How does the set up for the subs and amp look? and from experience... should I drop the stock speakers? I know im dropping the deck it skips like a school girl...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:26 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Well when i say professional install i mean... not myself or my friend from down the street lol will probably take it somewhere like Circuit city or bestbuy unless thats just plain bad. How does the set up for the subs and amp look? and from experience... should I drop the stock speakers? I know im dropping the deck it skips like a school girl...
Ah, ok well that makes a big diffrance. Don't take it to Circuit city or bestbuy take it to a real sound shop. As far as your amp & subs go, you really don't need that kind of power for those 8's, a single channel mono amp pushing about 300 to 500 watts would do just fine. I mite as well ask this now so I can help you out, "What kind of money are you planning of putting out on this?"
Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Psych

Well I already have the subs and AMP got them together NEW for 100bucks its great to know someone who knows someone. I'm trying to stay in the range of another 2-300max on the sound aspect for now. More things im saving up for... intake, grill, ect.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Well I already have the subs and AMP got them together NEW for 100bucks its great to know someone who knows someone. I'm trying to stay in the range of another 2-300max on the sound aspect for now. More things im saving up for... intake, grill, ect.
Ok, for that kind of money I would invest all of it into your new head unit since it will be the heart of your system you want the best one you can get. Replacing your other stock speakers you can do down the road. Just find you a good one that has what you want on it. Any shop should be able to install it for you.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Psych

So what do you think im looking at? Say 150-200 on the head unit 50ish to install the subs, unit, and amp? Oooooh one more thing im sure ppl have ran into... the trunk... it slides up and the box sizes do fit but not snug on their own. However there is a bar that goes across near the rear speakers do they just put a mount on that to hold it up or would it be better to get separate boxes for each 8ich and put them on the sides of the trunk in the slots?

Oh and ty for the quick replies helps a bunch!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

So what do you think im looking at? Say 150-200 on the head unit 50ish to install the subs, unit, and amp? Oooooh one more thing im sure ppl have ran into... the trunk... it slides up and the box sizes do fit but not snug on their own. However there is a bar that goes across near the rear speakers do they just put a mount on that to hold it up or would it be better to get separate boxes for each 8ich and put them on the sides of the trunk in the slots?

Oh and ty for the quick replies helps a bunch!
Install costs vary so just call around to find those out. As far as the box's if it was me I would go with separate boxes in those trunk slots, it will give you room to still use your trunk when you need too.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Psych

Yeah that does make sense but then where does the amp go hahaha hmm guess i'll just have the pro's tell me how they normally do it and what they recommend. ty so much you've been a huge help.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Yeah that does make sense but then where does the amp go hahaha hmm guess i'll just have the pro's tell me how they normally do it and what they recommend. ty so much you've been a huge help.
No problem man, that's what these fourms are for, "to help" The amp can go in a number of places depending on how big it is. They may be able to mount it to the under side of your rear deck "if" there is room.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by The Magician
To convert your 5v factory remote out wire to a 12v remote wire, use a standard 12v relay. take the stock 5v wire into pin 86, ground pin 85. put a switched or constant 12v lead onto pin 30, and then run a new wire for the 12v remote line of pin 87 to your amp. Easy low price fix. This also works great for many other applications...

If anyone has questions about this hit me up...
Yea, I have a question.
How does the 12V coil of the relay
energize with just 5V from the Shaker?
How about a 5V reed relay from RadioSnack
and do it properly without the worry of
overloading the 5V amp turn on lead since
its just works at logic level currents and
the 12V coil of a lighting relay would be
hard on the 5V amp turn on lead output.

Quick Reply: Wiring a sub and an Amp to stock shaker 500