Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i think the drone comes from the mufflers mostly, you may be able to alter it but not get rid of it, i think even the stock mufflers had drone just not as bad or not as noticeable. but if you really cant stand it, then you should change the axlebacks. it's not a bad thing to realize that you dont like the exhaust you just put on, or would like it better, that's why i changed mine 5 times before finding the one that suited me. i think the question you got to ask yourself is do the good sounds out weigh the bad sounds, and can you live w/ the bad part, if not you must change it or you will live with that sound every time you drive it. i have friends w/ borla stingers and they sound very good, one of the best axlebacks that can be used w/ just about any exhaust setup, but sound is all subjuctive. so my advice is if you dont like it, change it.
like onderful, i have tried many combos before finding the set-up that i love.......
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I'm getting stingers around Christmas time, so I'm glad you started this thread. I've never really heard drone before in person, so I don't really know what to expect. Does rolling the windows down help any? I drive with them down 9 months out of the year.
Also, would you say it is like a bass/vibration coming from sub woofers? ... I like that noise.
I have just been wanting to hear the V8 all the time when I'm driving it, not just when I accelerate, but I'm not looking to get headaches.

and um, does your stereo overpower it? I usually have it turned up quite a bit anyway.

Sorry to thread jack
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
I'm getting stingers around Christmas time, so I'm glad you started this thread. I've never really heard drone before in person, so I don't really know what to expect. Does rolling the windows down help any? I drive with them down 9 months out of the year.
Also, would you say it is like a bass/vibration coming from sub woofers? ... I like that noise.
I have just been wanting to hear the V8 all the time when I'm driving it, not just when I accelerate, but I'm not looking to get headaches.

and um, does your stereo overpower it? I usually have it turned up quite a bit anyway.

Sorry to thread jack
It will amplify the drone more and make it worse with the windows up. To get an idea of what drone sounds like plug your ears with your fingers and go "mmmmm" or "bzzzzzzz". Here is a clip I made with my macs in the drone zone. You need good speakers and bass in order to hear it. Keep in mind this is at its WORST and I never am in this range normally. 5th gear on the hwy at like ~60-65 mph. Trust me its not even a 1/4 as bad as everyone makes it out to be

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN0722.flv

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN0721.flv
Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

MIKE!
Thank you so much buddy. I have been looking for a drone example video forever!
I have surround sound and a sub woofer and I turned it way up... I understand now! I like that. I think it actually might be what I'm looking for... to be able to actually hear the car under normal cruising.
Thanks again... that made me feel a lot better about my choice.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mynameismike65
It will amplify the drone more and make it worse with the windows up. To get an idea of what drone sounds like plug your ears with your fingers and go "mmmmm" or "bzzzzzzz". Here is a clip I made with my macs in the drone zone. You need good speakers and bass in order to hear it. Keep in mind this is at its WORST and I never am in this range normally. 5th gear on the hwy at like ~60-65 mph. Trust me its not even a 1/4 as bad as everyone makes it out to be

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN0722.flv

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSCN0721.flv
Oh man, that would drive me up a wall... even if it wasn't normally like that.

I'm glad I got my Corsa's. :-) They are quieter at cruising speed than my dad's 07 GT with stock exhaust. But they sounds TONS better at idle and during acceleration!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:13 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

yea i didnt want the drone at all...so i went with corsas...i didnt wanna have 2 come on here and bitch about the drone either...
Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

MIKE!
I have surround sound and a sub woofer and I turned it way up... I understand now! I like that. I think it actually might be what I'm looking for... to be able to actually hear the car under normal cruising.
No problem, and again not to sound like a broken record but consider the Macs. Trust me, Im an unbiased party who has had both Macs and Borlas. Dont get me wrong the Borlas sounded nice, but IMO did not even come close to all the hype they recieved. Also considering you have an auto I think the macs would be more noticable at normal driving speeds/rpms. I was very dissapointed in the Borlas to be honest. If you are going for a VERY deep,muscular sound that is still very managable then go with the macs. JMHO (plus the Macs are alot less $$$)
Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

How do macs sound with off road set-ups?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:07 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
How do macs sound with off road set-ups?
Eh....thats a very delicate matter. They sound AWESOME with LTs/o/r/h/prochamber, but with stock manifolds and o/r h they trumpet like crazy.....not my cup of tea. I have not heard them with an o/r prochamber though. Im sure resonators would clean it up. The Borlas do sound good o/r though, that is why I bought them in the first place, but I never went o/r and they werent very good with the stock cats, so I kept the macs on.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

MIKE!
Your sub is going to make the drone a lot worse. The drone, which is going to be loud, is going to add to what your sub is doing and your eyeballs may fall out.

Quick Reply: Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.