Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

put in a rear dome light.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:07 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I actually really like this LOL it really does suck having to look for things in the dark and not having a light back there doesnt help. Cant wait for the write-up, would you say this is fairly easy for someone that has no Exp. in this kinda stuff?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 AM
derekdatank
2nd Gear Member

dam good job my hat is off to you
Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Great idea, and nice work.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Light

Not Bad
Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

Looks great and I bet is a big help getting the car seat buckled.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

I tried something similar, but couldn't seem to tap into the right wire for it to "fade." I was even using a voltmeter. Do you remember what color the wire was that you tapped?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darkness7
I tried something similar, but couldn't seem to tap into the right wire for it to "fade." I was even using a voltmeter. Do you remember what color the wire was that you tapped?
+1

I'm patiently awaiting the write up because I think this is a fantastic idea! Another perfect example of Mustang owners succeeding where Ford has previously failed!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:20 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Default here's the write-up as requested!

ok, here's the write-up.

materials needed; wire cutters/strippers, wire crimpers, flathead screw driver, mechanics wire, 5" L.E.D. strip light.

first, pop off the front dome lamp assembly. it just pulls down from the sides as it is held in by push-clips. be careful not to break it though.

after the front lamp assembly is pulled down, take the push clips out of the back of the headliner to make room to run the wiring under the headliner. you may be able to get away with not taking them out, but my hands are big and i had to.

next, i ran the mechanics wire from the front lamp housing opening to the back of the headliner.

when you get the mechanics wire to come through all the way, (this may take some practice, it tends to get "hung up" on thing up there. thats why i took out the rear headliner push clips) just tape the wires on the L.E.D strip to it and pull it back through to the front lamp housing opening.

the wire that comes with the light strip is about 4 feet long and thats plenty to reach all the way through. i had to trim some.

now mount (stick on) the L.E.D. strip to the top of the back window in the black area. i used denatured alchohol to prep the area so it would stick better. make sure its centered before you stick it on, it's pretty good adhesive.

now its time to make your connections up front. you can see in the pictures that i allready have a couple of things tapped in, so your wiring configuration may look a little different.

i tapped into the drivers side, front dome lamp bulb wires right off the back of the bulb socket.
wire colors for + and - connections are as follows
connect + on led strip (blk/wht wire) to the black wire on the bulb socket.
connect - on led strip (black wire) to the brown wire on the bulb socket.
so for front drivers dome lamp, brown wire is - and black wire is +

make sure you function test it before reassembly of everything.
and your done!!! reinstall the front lamp housing by snapping it back in, reinstall the rear headliner push clips if you took them out, and enjoy it later.

end result =

Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Time to head to autozone!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

What a coincidence...I was cleaning the rear seat area with the car in the garage the other night and wished that there was rear seat lighting. This is a cool mod I'm sure I will do in the future. I'd want something brighter though. I might get two of these straight black modules and mount them a few inches apart in a straight line. I'm also planning to upgrade the front map lights with super bright LED's.

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 12-07-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: put in a rear dome light.