Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes System

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

To the OP:

I just installed that H pipe about a month ago. The crappy clamps that go in the middle of the H will leak like crazy. Get two SS 4" band clamps from NAPA and you will thank me for it. If you get any rattling after the install, check out the left hand H pipe hanger. It is real close to the tranny crossmember. I had to heat up and bend mine so it would stop rattling. Otherwise, it's actually a very good quality system.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
Hey how is the raspyness of this system? I'm guessing it trumpets a lot no? I'm lookin to replace the flows soon and i think the mid-muffler might have the sound I'm looking for. I run an O/R H right now, I'm thinking the set-up would be Loud as hell??
This is the best video you are going to get of the mm system. There are a few more in my profile also but this video is driving with it.

o/r x mm and slp lm going to be very similar withthe H as far as rasp goes I dont think its is raspy at all think it sounds sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuMct0EiuMg

Last edited by TOMBSTANG; 12-09-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:38 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Ah....KLO, you do know that in your pic's you have those pipes line up on the wrong side right? Those pipes that are bent at a 45 degree angle need to go on the other side of the "H" pipe, the end with the hangers on it.
Ah....CutterWolf, if you read my whole schpeal you'll see that I worte that the pipes are at home and I had my father take the pictures. He arranged them wrong and I realized that. The pictures were there just to help the visualization of the four pipes.

fullboogie-Thanks for the heads up, but the H-Pipe will be fully welded up so the clamps will be cut off anyway.

As for the trumpeting, I have heard this set-up with an O/R X (not referring to Tombstang's, it's someone back at home where I live) and it trumpeted to all hell which I didn't like. The H-Pipe is supposed to be a little more mellow in that department as well as deeper. Thing is, with the harmonics of any O/R piping, you're gonna get trumpeting. With my LM's I get a very small amount of trumpeting in the low gears. My main concern with this exhaust set-up is the drone, which as I have heard there is none.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
Ah....CutterWolf, if you read my whole schpeal you'll see that I worte that the pipes are at home and I had my father take the pictures. He arranged them wrong and I realized that. The pictures were there just to help the visualization of the four pipes.

fullboogie-Thanks for the heads up, but the H-Pipe will be fully welded up so the clamps will be cut off anyway.

As for the trumpeting, I have heard this set-up with an O/R X (not referring to Tombstang's, it's someone back at home where I live) and it trumpeted to all hell which I didn't like. The H-Pipe is supposed to be a little more mellow in that department as well as deeper. Thing is, with the harmonics of any O/R piping, you're gonna get trumpeting. With my LM's I get a very small amount of trumpeting in the low gears. My main concern with this exhaust set-up is the drone, which as I have heard there is none.
Good call on the welding, I was gonna suggest that--it's the only way to go IMO
Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

VistaGT- Yeah I plan to weld the H-Pipe all up and then the tips onto the MMS just so you don't have the clamps hanging below the bumper. Unless I go with the LM system =)
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Man.... I need to figure out a way to hook my cam to the bumper like that and take a ride. that **** would sound sick!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO

Good to know bro, because when I took a look at those pic's I was like,"damm know wonder he thinks there is an issue LOL!"
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by KLO

The only way to deal with that stupid H section! Got to be welded...
I installed those pypes before and one section of the H is supposed to be smaller so it slips in the other one.
Well it wouldn't (too tight) so I cut it short and weld flush.
Also, the clamps provided are not that great, very approximate.
You have to work at it to have a no leak system.
But that's OK, the factory double bolt clamps also fail to impress me.

Just bring all that sh#t to the shop and we'll put the magic touch on it.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
The only way to deal with that stupid H section! Got to be welded...
I installed those pypes before and one section of the H is supposed to be smaller so it slips in the other one.
Well it wouldn't (too tight) so I cut it short and weld flush.
Also, the clamps provided are not that great, very approximate.
You have to work at it to have a no leak system.
But that's OK, the factory double bolt clamps also fail to impress me.

Just bring all that sh#t to the shop and we'll put the magic touch on it.

I'll most likely just have it welded at a shop at home when I'm down cause if it rattles and I can't solve it, then I can't stand driving 3 hours to get back up here with the exhaust rattling. If I don't get it welded I will let you know.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Exhaust goes in tomorrow guys!! Man I'm excited.

Quick Reply: Pypes System