Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your car leak? How? For S197 owners
My Mustang does not/never had any rain leaks.
71.03%
My Mustang has or had rain leaks but not like your pics
11.21%
YES! My Mustang has or had rain leaks LIKE your car
14.02%
My dealer (or someone) fixed a leak but NOT like yours
0.93%
YES! My dealer (or someone) fixed a leak like yours.
0.93%
My car is an '05
19.63%
My car is an '06
25.23%
My car is an '07
23.36%
My car is an '08
19.63%
My car is an '09
2.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Leak Poll, new improved, please everyone answer

Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default door seal

Originally Posted by 8178A
Both my 07 and 09 both collect water in the door sills. All mustangs will leak water to some extent on to the sills if it rains hard enough. The water is not overflowing from inside the door; it comes in on the back edge of the door in seal aerial below the window.

It won’t normally leak during car washing unless you use a lot of water and it leaks best if the car is parked up hill slightly. It doesn’t rain hard enough in many areas of the US for the leak to show up and that’s why some owners don’t think they have the leak.

I did a lot of testing on my 07 before I took it to Ford to find the leak area. Ford’s local water leak guy said there is no fix for the problem along with Ford’s corporate office. The door seal design totally sucks. If you look at the seals along the back edge of the door below the window you will see that there is no way it can keep water out.

Most cars seal the door on the inside of the sill but not the good old Ford Mustang designers! Of course it didn’t stop me from buying my second Mustang.
So, let me understand. You say, and the Ford guy says , that the leak gets past the gasket at the rear of the door at a height just below the window "sill". It then runs down the gasket to the bottom and backs up over the sills. This is one possibility I suggested at the hearing, but I didn't suggest any particular point of leakage.

Do you have anything in writing from Ford? A copy of the service record?

Very curious because, the Ford guy told the board that Ford (was so thorough) that they "designed an *extra* drain in the door and designed it to drain onto the sill that's why there are puddles on my sill.

Ahem. He also said that he "searched Ford's computer records" and I am "the ONLY person who EVER complained about this." And, because it is designed to do this "EVERY Mustang does this."

The two cars that I know of are local to me and they don't leak..they live in the same rain...in fact, one parks next to me at work.

My car will leak, that's how I proved it to myself, in the brushless car wash. At first, I thought I had left the windows partly down. It will leak when I wash it however, I use the minimal amount of water in those areas so I minimize the problem. The most leaking occurs when it is stuck out in the rain for several hours.

Now the fact that it is "designed" that way does not IMHO excuse the fact that it leaks. Imagine if they saved money by putting on 5 inch diameter brake rotors and you could bring the car to a dead stop from 45 mph but not from 65 mph. I don't think "they all do that" would be a viable defense.

If they had disclosed the "designed in" leak to me I would not have bought the car.

Thanks for participating in the poll
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default thanks

Originally Posted by samus720
Yeah, I did. I was the original respondent to your post and I DID check "Leaks, but not like yours."
Thanks for answering the poll.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default chalk?

Originally Posted by 8178A
The door seal design totally sucks. If you look at the seals along the back edge of the door below the window you will see that there is no way it can keep water out.

Most cars seal the door on the inside of the sill but not the good old Ford Mustang designers! Of course it didn’t stop me from buying my second Mustang.
Excuse my dumbness. What is a "chalk" car?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Your "leak" doesn't look right. Has the dealership pulled the door panel off to make sure something wasn't assembled wrong in the factory in regard to internal splash shields and what not? Maybe something is deflecting the water to where it is leaking between the door and the panel. Hell, pull it off yourself and see what you find...that's what I would do.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

knock on wood but so far my 08 does not leak
Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

i have the same problem with my 08;however, yours is a tad more extreme......when i was my car, i have to open the doors to let it drain!! plus, it's another area that i have to dry..pita

2 cents
good luck
Old 01-04-2009, 05:41 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Ya I live in FL and every time it rains I get rain leaking into my car from both windows. Mostly the driver side. When I was in CO I told them about it, and I guess they replaced the hard plastic cover pieces and something under the wiper blades. It didn't leak when I took it through the car wash, so hopefully its finally fixed. If not I just deal with wet seats and floorboards. Ford did a poor job designing these doors so the water just flows onto the Mustang emblem thing when you open the door. My eclipse never had this problem and the door set up was pretty much the same.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Its BS that you would have to prove to the dealership that the problem is widespread. Even if yours was the only Mustang in the world that leaked, Ford should have to fix it if it's under warranty and you obviously didn't cause the problem.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default weatheshields

Originally Posted by Hicompression
Your "leak" doesn't look right. Has the dealership pulled the door panel off to make sure something wasn't assembled wrong in the factory in regard to internal splash shields and what not? Maybe something is deflecting the water to where it is leaking between the door and the panel. Hell, pull it off yourself and see what you find...that's what I would do.
The first time I picked it up they told me yes, indeed they had pulled the panels off and the weathershields were ok. They also told me this the seconde time. After a "Summit" meeting the "big guy" looked at my car and found a drip mark under the door panel upholstery. Then they pulled the panels. They found the shields were in wrong and put new ones in. May have helped a tiny bit but it is still mostly the same.

thanks for taking the poll
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default yes BS

Originally Posted by Ato
Its BS that you would have to prove to the dealership that the problem is widespread. Even if yours was the only Mustang in the world that leaked, Ford should have to fix it if it's under warranty and you obviously didn't cause the problem.
You're right it is BS. But, you got the problem a little backwards. Ford was able to get away with not fixing my car by saying "they all do that, ...we designed it that way...you're just a fussy customer...there is no record of anyone else complaining about leaks in the Ford Data Base..." etc.

Even though I had pics of another car I tested that did not leak.

They way the poll is shaping up...only about 10-15% of the cars leak. So they don't all leak. So they should be responsible for fixing my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leak Poll, new improved, please everyone answer