Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's needed to import a Mustang into France?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
marsh2o

Default What's needed to import a Mustang into France?

I may be relocating to France within the next year and would like to investigate the feasibility of taking my Mustang (a 2007 GT500).

I have several specific concerns. I know that there are a variety of import fees and a one-time VAT, but are there any additional annual carbon emission, fuel consumption or engine displacement taxes? And what about the difficulty and cost of getting insurance?

I am also worried about what may be involved in bringing the car into compliance with French automotive safety and emission standards. Are there prohibitions on suspension, brake and engine modifications? And, if so, are there any acceptable alternatives (e.g., engine mods that have received the French equivalent of CARB certification? Or suspension mods that meet the equivalent of German TUV standards?)

Are there any modifications that must be made to an otherwise stock Mustang to meet the French standards? Like additional marker lights? A new rear bumper cover to accommodate a wider license plate? Additional emissions controls, etc.?

And, finally, what about the difficulty of obtaining normal Ford parts and service? Is this something that can be done through a dealer? Or do I need to make arrangements with an independent specialty shop? I would most likely be working in or near Paris.

I would sincerely appreciate any information that anyone can provide. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I hate the French, good luck!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Ask miss-mustang, a member here... they are from France and I believe they have a Mustang over there. They posted a big thread in the photo section (Mustang in Disneyland Resort Paris) with a huge gather of 'stangs in France.

Link to the photo thread... https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...ort-paris.html
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
TAMPAGT07
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure about the car, but I think you need to wear a berret. (I learned that from Chevy Chase in European Vacation.)
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM
marsh2o

Thanks, Steve -- I really appreciate the lead!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

This might help... A guy imported his car from the USA to Germany. May be a similar process....

http://www.radlhammer.com/car.htm
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I just found this link about France.

http://www.skovgaard-europe.com/immifran-car.htm
Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 AM
302me
2nd Gear Member

I read about the PITA process for importing a car Murphdog provided......Good luck man.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by marsh2o
I may be relocating to France within the next year and would like to investigate the feasibility of taking my Mustang (a 2007 GT500).

I have several specific concerns. I know that there are a variety of import fees and a one-time VAT, but are there any additional annual carbon emission, fuel consumption or engine displacement taxes? And what about the difficulty and cost of getting insurance?

I am also worried about what may be involved in bringing the car into compliance with French automotive safety and emission standards. Are there prohibitions on suspension, brake and engine modifications? And, if so, are there any acceptable alternatives (e.g., engine mods that have received the French equivalent of CARB certification? Or suspension mods that meet the equivalent of German TUV standards?)

Are there any modifications that must be made to an otherwise stock Mustang to meet the French standards? Like additional marker lights? A new rear bumper cover to accommodate a wider license plate? Additional emissions controls, etc.?

And, finally, what about the difficulty of obtaining normal Ford parts and service? Is this something that can be done through a dealer? Or do I need to make arrangements with an independent specialty shop? I would most likely be working in or near Paris.

I would sincerely appreciate any information that anyone can provide. Thanks!

That will be a wonderful opportunity and you’ll love France and the French people. We have friends there that share the same passion we have for a particular Italian super car that we own. Spent some time there with them and it was an experience that I will never forget. They do have some interesting laws regarding modifications to cars though. One example, is that you are not allowed to put non-OEM wheels on your car. In reality, that is probably not a bad thing considering how many junk Chinese aftermarket wheels there are in the market place.