Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk HP+ Pads, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Argonaut for your info! Were you running the front pads with brake ducts? I have a feeling I should put some on anyway, but I think it would help reduce the rate at which the heat checking might occur?

matt07GT personally I felt the OEM brake pads were plenty enough for the street, but then again I drive the "lighter" v6, so you guys in your GTs might be wanting just a little more stopping power. I've read good things about Hawk HPS pads (i have a set of rear pads for sale if you are interested ).
Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Matt, you can use the stock rear pads if you want, but step up to some HPS pads for the front brakes. I got mine for ~84 bucks from stranoparts.com. They claim the HPS pads have a 10% reduction in stopping distance from stock, but it feels much greater than that to me.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I used a set of HP+ on the rear of my car for about 7 track days and 3-4 months of street driving. They worked pretty well. I then switched to HT-10 on the rear. I have to disagree with some of the posts above - my experience was they do not "eat" rotors. At the end of the season my rear rotors look great. The first several track days I kept a record, measuring the rotor thickness with a caliper after each event. I didn't see any change, maybe over the course of a season I would have but its so minimal its not worth worrying about. Now on the front, its a different story. The problem will not be "eating" or wear, it will be heat checking. You will crack the rotors long before you ever wear them out. Take a look at this picture, this is what happens to front rotors in just a couple of events. It gets much worse until eventually (within about 7-8 track days) you will be able to catch your finger nail on the cracks, then its time to replace. Also, I ran HT-10s on the front (harder pad than the HP+) and I thought they were just fine on the street, a little noisy and dusty but I didn't have any issues with cold stopping power.

Have to agree with Argonaut. My experience:

- HP+ work fine on the street and at all temperatures so far.
- Work great on the track
- I found them quite noisy. I swapped back to the stockers for the 'off season'
- Yeah, there is dust.
- They don't eat the rotors.

If you are just looking for an upgraded pad to DD on, HPS is probably a good call. Swap the HP+ on when going to the track. There was someone on here Argo, Rodeo, ? that bought a set of stocker take off rotors cheap and kept their street and track pads/rotors as matched sets.