Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new Stng: Stick or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
I was thinking about this as well and I don't know. I mean all my "sporty" cars have been stick except for the 94 probe I had. There was a big difference bet. the man. and auto eclipse when I tested them before buying, but it only had 140hp. With over 300hp, I'm thinking auto would be fine. I'm wondering if the 0-60 and 1/4 times are similar bet. the two?
I do know the auto supposedly gets slightly worse mileage, but is better in the winter. It is also more convenient when you eat while driving or something like I do and you can get an automatic starter which I've always wanted. But it is an extra expense option on the mustang I believe. I remember when the camaro and firebird was the same price for either. Too bad they can't do that with the new stang...

The auto also has more loss of fwhp to rwhp, or so I heard. I think the manual has a loss at about 12-13% and the auto around 15%. But I might be wrong,someone else who knows more is welcome to correct me if thats the case.

I am also sure that you can get a automatic starter for a stick, but not from factory. Ill see if I can find it.

My car is a stick, but I only drive it on weekends, my DD is a volvo 855 auto. So its always alot of fun to get into the stang and play with the stick

Oh, and about eating in the car, when at the highway , you dont have to shift alot so there is no problem there, and in the city going like 20m at the time, you just put it in second or third and cruise away. The car wont stall on you, its strong enough.

But you do not eat in the car so problem solved, no drinking either..
Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Stick if you have handsfree on your cell phone,
AUTO if you hold your cell phone while talking
and driving.

Eating in the stang is a big no-no in my book.
And cigarette smoking is not in my mustangs future, either.

I've "been drinking" is not a reason good enough to let
someone else drive your stang.

Last edited by 157dB; 01-10-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I am 56, I wanted the auto. I work with a guy who has a 6 speed 05 Vette, I took a ride with him one day. I am glad I went with the auto, don't miss the shifting at all. And I have a CAI and VMP 93 octane tune, so I like to drive fast every once and a while. The auto doesn't hinder that a bit. Now, if I was 20 years old, I might want the standard transmission. My son has a 91 Dodge Stealth that rides like a brick with no air conditioning and he likes it! I drove it last summer and hated it. So your age will be a factor in your decision.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Stick all the way. Autos are just plain boring. Sure, autos are more consistent in the quarter mile, but they're less fun and take less skill.

Who the hell eats in the mustang? There has not been one meal consumed in that car or one cigarette smoked. As former car smoker and car eater, it makes a HUGE difference and once you're used to it, it's no big deal. Nothing worse than crumbs and ashes!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

the auto in the GT shifts really fast when you get a intake/tune and holds the rpms til 6k or so... from a deadstop it hauls *****.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
JD57
1st Gear Member

I like both, but for a daily driver I went with the auto. It is also easier to drive in snow if you are going to.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CBSTANG
Also look at it this way, less of a chance you car could be stolen.
actually your car is more likley to be stolen as a stick... I know some people that know some people that know people (we're dodging the details) that do that sort of thing and the people that steal cars know what they're looking for, nice car, stick, gone.

but i have a stick and its not annoying or anything, you get that nice "Tehe" kind of thing with more and more power.. also you have the economic stand point where you can save a little more mpg with the stick as opposed to the auto (you choose the RPM) sure there are... you can have the car in reverse down your driveway and then be in first even before the car stops.. you can change gears without holding the brake =p and you get 3 pedals instead of two, and the possibility for a a 4th "dead pedal" =p lol.

Just get the stick
Old 01-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Azrael
2nd Gear Member

One more thing to add, almost every trick you can do in an auto,you can do in a manual. Nearly every trick you do with a manual can NOT be done with an auto.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

I challenge anyone on here who has never ridden in or driven an s197 auto with one of Dougs tunes, it will open your eyes alot. I have owned all kinds of cars that were sticks, been as fast as a mid 9 in the qtr in a 5 speed car. My 08 is fun as hell to drive as an auto. The 5R55 rocks!!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Atlanta_Tider
I challenge anyone on here who has never ridden in or driven an s197 auto with one of Dougs tunes, it will open your eyes alot. I have owned all kinds of cars that were sticks, been as fast as a mid 9 in the qtr in a 5 speed car. My 08 is fun as hell to drive as an auto. The 5R55 rocks!!
now i challenge you to take a s197 with said tune on a stick.

if you're doing anything but drag (and this only comes into play in like 11> ETs) then just get the stick. look at the europeans, they all use them and they dont b*tch about traffic or whatever. you'll enjoy it once you learn

Quick Reply: Getting a new Stng: Stick or Auto?