Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Spark Plug problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

thanks for the link.

My other questions are still in the air though.

If I wait till 100k mi... and they break... besides the extra 400 bucks I am gonna pay for getting the problem fixed... is there any danger that the car won't be like it was before or something?

And the other question.. If i get them replaced now... what is to stop the problem from arising again?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 01-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
thanks for the link.

My other questions are still in the air though.

If I wait till 100k mi... and they break... besides the extra 400 bucks I am gonna pay for getting the problem fixed... is there any danger that the car won't be like it was before or something?

And the other question.. If i get them replaced now... what is to stop the problem from arising again?
No, the car will be fine. The fix is to get 1 piece plugs, follow the tsb, and put anti seize on the plugs.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

But the dealership is not going to put 1 piece plugs in. I am assuming they would use their brand plugs. So how exactly would that fix the issue?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The fix is the anti-seize that is applied. Assuming that is done then even the stock two piece plugs should be good to go for quite some time.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ok thanks. Last question again...

If I do wait... and they DO break. Is there a risk that there would be damage to the car that would make it so the car would never be the same?

Or would the damage just be the extra 400 bucks or so I would pay for fixing the breaks making it around 700 bucks as opposed to the 300 I would pay if I get them replaced now?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Dealers are lying if they said they never heard of it.

Just buy the 1 piece plugs off summit or rock auto and do it yourself.

Look at it this way, do it correctly and it will cost you $150 and change.

Do it incorrectly, you will stay pay thru the cornchute by heaving the dealer take care fixing it.

You have nothing to lose.

As for anti-seize, i never put it on the 1 piece plugs when i swapped..didn't see a real point.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Wow... no one still has answered my question.

IF I do wait... and the plugs break.. can it damage the car so that it will never be the same?

OR is it just a big 700 dollar expense coming but no serious harm to the car?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
Ok thanks. Last question again...

If I do wait... and they DO break. Is there a risk that there would be damage to the car that would make it so the car would never be the same?

Or would the damage just be the extra 400 bucks or so I would pay for fixing the breaks making it around 700 bucks as opposed to the 300 I would pay if I get them replaced now?
NO.... THERE is NO risk that the car would never be the same if the plugs break!! I don't know where you got this or where this fear is coming from but don't worry about it. Honestly I would really look into doing it yourself, all you need is a ratchet set, it's not hard at all...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Thanks for the answer..

Some guy was saying how little parts of the plug could get so far in the head etc. when it breaks that even if you took it off it would really fug up the car.

The reason I am not doing it myself is because I just KNOW I would end up breaking them off. So I may just buy the one pieces then take it to the dealership to have them change em for me.

Can someone provide me a link to the one piece we need to use?
Thanks again!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 01-15-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If you use a torque wrench and don't go past what the TSB states then you shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything at all.

I might get a friend to help me with this but even though I'm a total newb I'm still going to do it pretty much on my own. Just take your sweet time and let the carb cleaner really permeate in there if they seem to be stuck real good. Absolute worst case scenario you can't get them out then put the ones you got out back in and take it to the dealer.

That's my plan.

Quick Reply: The Spark Plug problem?