Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which mod next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

New wheels and tires!!! you can do the system yourself. I would get the wheels and tires now, and piece together a system later.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

thats what i thought..
1 farad should be good for up to 2k watts
Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
thats what i thought..
1 farad should be good for up to 2k watts
caps are really worthless. First do the big 3 upgrade under the hood. Then get a bigger alt. Big 3 usually solves the average audiophile's problems.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

big 3??? whats that??
Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

im about to dynamatt the doors was gonna do it today but i just got off work about an hour or 2 ago and gotta pick up the wife and then grocery shopping and so on and so on
Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

big 3??? whats that??
Wires under the hood.

Batt negative to chassis ground
Batt negative to engine ground
Batt positive to Alternator

Adding to the existing, or replacing the existing with larger wire allows for better current flow.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

cool thanks, makes sence, but that wil only maintain ppwer to the amps.... speaking of wich i think my factory ones have kicked out a few times... OK OK ill do it. will it add bass to the system? oem that is? is the current flow that bad?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Jmoss
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys Ill go for the new kicks and worry about the sound later, you guys really helped I needed a push to make a decision thank you
Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

ug... why do people always go here.. All right heres the rundown, the 3 farad cap was only a few dollars more expensive and had the DVM and Distribution blocks built in. Also, to determine how many farad is good for how many watts is usually simple.
1 Farad will supply a continuous 1000w of energy for 1 second. so people usually tell you to go 1 farad per 1kw of amp. Thats good if the songs you like to play really loud only have 1 second of bass increments and enough dwell in between time to refill the cap while simultaneously powering the next note of the song.

The Big 3. Modern batteries are much better at rapidly discharging there energy then when people first started adding caps to there system. Now some people instead of using caps, just make sure they have a really good battery under hood, and replace all there grounding cables with high gauge cables to provide a better flow through the chassis of the car back to your amps.

Even with the Big 3, your still completely hosed if you play too hard for too long. Your battery acting like a cap will do the same thing if your load is too high too.... It will suck all the juice off your battery, chew through all its reserve, start drawing directly off your alternator, and burn that up.

Any way, all that aside, a big cap close to the amp still has the same affect it did a while ago, a instant supply of power that is VERY fast discharging to your amp, while giving you a slightly larger pool of reserve to pull from before it starts pulling off your alternator.

And with all that said, stop hating on the guy for wanting to have a loud system. Mustangs are nice cars in general, not everyone buys them JUST to go fast. the fact a 3 farad cap was gonna go with it if he wanted my stuff is what you guys go nuts over... oh no, he might have more reserve then he needs... QQ

I have the mods listed, plan on adding alot more, and I got a AVIC D3 I'm going to install along with my 2 other L7's, my 2kw RMS amp, and my 6 farad cap.

Last edited by JDWalton; 01-31-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

cool thanks, makes sence, but that wil only maintain ppwer to the amps.... speaking of wich i think my factory ones have kicked out a few times... OK OK ill do it. will it add bass to the system? oem that is? is the current flow that bad?
It will not only do power to the amps, the big 3 will stabalize total power delivery in our cars. They use very thin cables from factory, surprisingly small for our cars, and the fact that ours are drive by wire. I want to do the big 3 soon to make sure everything electronic in our cars are getting the supply they need. As for adding bass, maybe not, but should keep them from cutting out on you.

Quick Reply: Which mod next?