Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Virgin?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Turn off traction control.
Going with anyone that knows the ropes of the place?
Also advise to watch others running for a while and get an idea.

Here is a good read. From the guy that helped me out my 1st time the strip
https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...ow-to-faq.html
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
You don't need to do a real brake stand... from what I've heard a real burnout on DRs will just cause them to get greasy. A quick spin of the tires to clean them up will be your best bet for DRs.

Now if you have street tires, a longer burnout might be more beneficial to warm them up some...

But I've yet to take my car to the strip... this is talk from my motorcycle racing experience at the track.
You've got it backwards. For a DR I'd smoke them a little. Use first gear not second. You have to rev it it a little, dump the clutch, then hit the brake while giving it gas. Two things not to do is hit the brake so hard that you stall, and don't bounce it off of the limiter. It is easy to do once you've got the hang of it.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
You've got it backwards. For a DR I'd smoke them a little. Use first gear not second. You have to rev it it a little, dump the clutch, then hit the brake while giving it gas. Two things not to do is hit the brake so hard that you stall, and don't bounce it off of the limiter. It is easy to do once you've got the hang of it.
Agreed. I would only spin street tires a few rotations to clean them. DR's need to heat up in order to stick. Another thing is, it feels like you're burning them for a long time, but when you look back on video, it's very short. Unless you have 3.73's or higher, you'll want to do the burnout in 1st gear since you don't have line locks.

As stated above, rev it up to around 4k or so, dump the clutch, tap the brake and keep your foot on it, but don't mash it. Just enough to keep the car from moving. During the burnout, keep your RPMs around 5k. You want to see about 5 seconds of smoke. (now, if you've never used these tires before, you may want to do a practice one in your driveway so they can get scuffed up a bit. They won't stick nearly as well until they've had a few burnouts) now let off the brake but don't let off the gas just yet. Ride through the burnout. After about 10 feet let off the gas and slow down so you can stage. Stage. When both cars are staged, pop your RPMs up to around 3500/4000 and dump the clutch on the last yellow.

After a few passes, try to keep the gas pedal down during the shifts as well (as long as you're quick). But I wouldn't suggest that for the 1-2 shift until your tires are really hooking.

Most of all, have fun!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Agreed. I would only spin street tires a few rotations to clean them. DR's need to heat up in order to stick. Another thing is, it feels like you're burning them for a long time, but when you look back on video, it's very short. Unless you have 3.73's or higher, you'll want to do the burnout in 1st gear since you don't have line locks.

As stated above, rev it up to around 4k or so, dump the clutch, tap the brake and keep your foot on it, but don't mash it. Just enough to keep the car from moving. During the burnout, keep your RPMs around 5k. You want to see about 5 seconds of smoke. (now, if you've never used these tires before, you may want to do a practice one in your driveway so they can get scuffed up a bit. They won't stick nearly as well until they've had a few burnouts) now let off the brake but don't let off the gas just yet. Ride through the burnout. After about 10 feet let off the gas and slow down so you can stage. Stage. When both cars are staged, pop your RPMs up to around 3500/4000 and dump the clutch on the last yellow.

After a few passes, try to keep the gas pedal down during the shifts as well (as long as you're quick). But I wouldn't suggest that for the 1-2 shift until your tires are really hooking.

Most of all, have fun!
Good info, thanks for clarifying things!

I know the number of heat cycles on sportbike tires can greatly affect the performance of the tires, is it the same for DR car tires?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Turn off traction control.
Going with anyone that knows the ropes of the place?
Also advise to watch others running for a while and get an idea.

Here is a good read. From the guy that helped me out my 1st time the strip
https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...ow-to-faq.html
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Most of all, have fun!
Great, specific info. Thanks a lot man. I will be attempting this.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

After a few good burnouts, they pretty much perform the same until there's no tread. Then you have radial slicks lol.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

get those nittos good and hot! 6-8 seconds @ 50-55 mph, 2nd gear burnout
Old 02-05-2009, 09:45 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
get those nittos good and hot! 6-8 seconds @ 50-55 mph, 2nd gear burnout
Without a line lock or low gears? I wouldn't suggest that, myself.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Without a line lock or low gears? I wouldn't suggest that, myself.
I'm agreeing with you. I went out on a back road and tried a 2nd gear burn out with my stock 3.55's and I stalled.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

stalling =(

2nd gear burnout is just as easy as 1st, 1st gear is useless for me...

Quick Reply: Track Virgin?