Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R Coilover Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default H&R Coilover Kit

Has anyone used this coilover setup? Thoughts?

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=967
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Not many people around here recommend coil-over setups on our cars. They take a lot more effort to get dialed in correctly and unless you have corner weights and know how to do ti yourself, height changes can be pretty costly.

That said, I forget who it was that I talked to in the handling section, but at a track day he said there was a guy that ran that H&R coil-over setup and loved it. He also said he was really fast. There's someone else that has the KW Variant 3 coil-overs and loves them, can't remember his name either. It seems that the guys that do have them have spent the money and time to get them properly setup, aligned, corner weighted, and have taken a lot of time tuning them in... but they love them. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

You might want to move this thread to the Handling section, you'll get much more in-depth and informed answers there. It'll take longer to get the responses, but you'll learn A LOT more.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

KW variant 3's.... ***drool***. I can't afford those. Just discovered that my $3800 tax return is going to back taxes. That was my suspension budget... It's coming out of my pocket now.

This coilover setup (@$1099) is about the same price as a set of Bilsteins and some Steeda sport springs. I love the adjustability. You have a point about dialin though... I'm sure it's not an easy thing to perfect.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

You might try searching "coilover" in the Handling section also. This is a thread I started a while back: https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...coilovers.html It covers a lot of the practicality issues of running coilovers on a street car. However, there is also quite a bit about racing seats, harnesses, and roll cages that you'll have to skip over. Most of the info on coilovers is on the first page.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
KW variant 3's.... ***drool***. I can't afford those. Just discovered that my $3800 tax return is going to back taxes. That was my suspension budget... It's coming out of my pocket now.

This coilover setup (@$1099) is about the same price as a set of Bilsteins and some Steeda sport springs. I love the adjustability. You have a point about dialin though... I'm sure it's not an easy thing to perfect.
RodeoFlyer is the guy with the KW V3's. If you go into that thread I posted, he talks about how much extra it costs to get your setup right. The actual kit may be close in price to the basic shock/strut setup, but with the basic setup, you just bolt it up and you're done (you may play around with the rebound damping a bit, but that takes 5 minutes to change)... with coilovers, you spend $1100 on the coilovers, and then another $1K+ before you get it tuned and aligned exactly how you want.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

So it's some kind of "black art" eh? Not likely but something to think about. I'll have to weigh my options and do a LOT more research over the next two weeks. My car will have new springs/struts/shocks in the next two weeks and I've had my eyes on those H&R's for over a year now...
Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Now that I think about it... a mustang dyno has corner weighting and I need to make a trip back down to my tuner... I may just have them install the coilovers and adjust accordingly. hmmmm...
Old 02-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Not so much a black art as you needing to buy multiple sets of springs and having to try a lot of different tuning setups before you get it just how you want and each time you make a change, you usually need some sort of alignment and corner weighting to get it set correctly. Not really sure about all of the different costs associated with it. You might try PMing a few guys like RodeoFlyer, Sam Strano, etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The thing that appeals to me the most about coilovers is the fact that I have a 4'' driveshaft and you have the ability to adjust these all the way up to the minimum .75'' of lowering if required.

If I run out and purchase some lowering springs that drop me >1-1.5'' and things start rubbing they will come back out.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Yep, that definitely is a benefit...

Quick Reply: H&R Coilover Kit